About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other comprehensive English work.
- Identify the writing and structuring an essay concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to write and structure an essay and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding essay introductions, transition sentences, argument structure, persuasive essays or any other writing and structuring an essay topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their writing and structuring an essay unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about writing and structuring an essay simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn how to write and structure an essay on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to write a thesis.
- Describe what makes a strong essay body.
- Explain how to write transition sentences.
- Understand how to structure arguments in an essay.
- Discuss methods for writing a strong personal essay.
- Use several sources when writing persuasive essays.
1. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
2. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
3. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
4. How to Structure an Argument in Your Essay
When you write a persuasive essay, it's important to think about how you'll construct your argument, from how you'll arrange your major points to how and where you'll refute opposing views. This video covers some of the basics for structuring an argument.
5. How to Write a Strong Personal Essay
At some point, you may be required to write a personal essay. Watch this video to learn how to turn your personal experiences into an effective essay.
6. How to Write a Persuasive Essay and Use Several Sources
In a persuasive essay in which you cite multiple sources, it's important to strike the right balance and use your sources to support your points without depending on them too much. In this lesson, we'll cover how to use multiple sources effectively to support your argument while still fully developing your own ideas in a persuasive essay.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Comprehensive English: Tutoring Solution course
- Sentence Structure: Elements of Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Sentence Structure - Understanding Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage in English: Tutoring Solution
- Organization: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Writing an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Development & Planning: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Revision & Improving Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Reading & Understanding Essays: Tutoring Solution
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning: Tutoring Solution
- Figurative Language: Tutoring Solution
- Examples of Literary Analysis: Tutoring Solution