About This Chapter
THEA Test: Absolute Value - Chapter Summary
Take time to review the resources in this chapter as a way to refresh your knowledge of absolute value in preparation for the exam. Upon completion of the lessons, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define absolute value
- Describe how to evaluate absolute value expressions
- Solve an absolute value equation
- Graph an absolute value and perform transformations
- Showcase your understanding of transformations of absolute value graphs
Get the step-by-step guidance you need to successfully complete mathematical operations related to absolute value. If you have any questions about lesson topics, gain clarity by submitting questions to experts who are eager to help.
THEA Test: Absolute Value Chapter Objectives
In Texas, you might be required to take the THEA test if you want to attend one of the public universities or colleges in the state. The test gauges your readiness to enter an institution as a freshman by assessing your comprehension of reading, mathematics and writing. This chapter is dedicated to topics covered in the math section, which consists of 50 multiple-choice questions that examine your abilities in the areas of algebra, geometry, fundamental math and problem solving. Passing this section of the test requires a score of at least 230.
Benefit from the resources in this chapter that can help you better understand absolute value. In addition to watching engaging lessons, you can take short quizzes that reinforce your knowledge of the subject. If you answer any questions incorrectly on a quiz, simply click the link next to the answer to revisit the related topic in the video lesson.
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
3. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
4. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
5. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
6. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math
- THEA Test Flashcards