About This Chapter
THEA Test: Principles of Geometry - Chapter Summary
This chapter can give you the in-depth look at the principles of geometry you need to succeed on the THEA test. After reviewing the lessons, you will have the knowledge to:
- Understand the undefined terms of geometry
- Analyze points, lines and angles in geometry
- Define the polygon and identify types of angles
- Describe parallel, perpendicular and transverse lines
- Examine the basics shapes of geometry and understand the properties of triangles
- Identify similar triangles and define vertical and complementary angles
- Discuss transformations in math and triangle congruence postulates
You can scroll through the list of videos using the right-hand sidebar to find the lessons you most need to review. Watch the videos in any order and as often as needed until you're sure you understand the lessons.
THEA Test: Principles of Geometry Objectives
This chapter can help you brush up on your knowledge of the principles of geometry so you're prepared to tackle related questions in the mathematics section of the THEA test. This section is one of three and consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. You can use the lessons in this chapter to prepare for specific geometry questions, then test your understanding with short lesson quizzes. A chapter exam is available to gauge your comprehension of the entire chapter.
The THEA test is ensures students interested in entering a Texas public college or university have the math, writing and reading knowledge needed to succeed as freshmen. To pass this section of the assessment, you must earn a minimum score of 230.
1. Undefined Terms of Geometry: Concepts & Significance
What do points, lines, planes, and sets have in common? Watch this video lesson to find out what they are, what they look like, and why they are called undefined terms.
2. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
3. What is a Polygon? - Definition, Shapes & Angles
Polygons are everywhere! In this lesson, you will learn what they are and what they look like. You will also learn about a special class of polygons and how to find its angles.
4. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
5. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Overview of the Basic Shapes in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic shapes in geometry. These are the shapes that you will come across most often in math. Watch as triangles, rectangles, pentagons, and circles come by.
7. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
8. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
9. Vertical Angles & Complementary Angles: Definition & Examples
Special angles make your life easier. Learn how you can use the properties of special angles to help you find the measurements of missing angles in this video lesson.
10. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
11. Triangle Congruence Postulates: SAS, ASA & SSS
When we have two triangles, how can we tell if they're congruent? They may look the same, but you can be certain by using one of several triangle congruence postulates, such as SSS, SAS or ASA.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math
- THEA Test Flashcards