About This Chapter
THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math - Chapter Summary
Studying for the THEA can feel a bit overwhelming at times, which is why it's good to refresh your knowledge of as many test topics as possible. In this chapter, you can rediscover the properties of basic math so you're ready to address the following:
- Understanding the commutative and associative properties of algebra
- Examining the multiplication property of zero
- Defining and understanding the uses of the distributive property
- Analyzing the addition and subtraction properties of equality
- Solving problems using the multiplication, division and transitive properties of equality
Expert instructors offer step-by-step guidance to ensure you understand the definitions and mathematical operations associated with the properties of basic math. Watch the videos in any order and as often as you'd like until you absorb the concepts.
THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math Objectives
The properties of basic math topics covered in this chapter are found in the math section of the computer-based THEA test. You can watch the video lessons and take self-assessment quizzes in this chapter to prepare for the 50 multiple-choice questions you'll need to answer in this section, which is one of three total. Doing so will get you closer to earning a passing math score of at least 230 and showing you're ready to enter as a freshman at a public college or university in Texas.
1. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
2. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
3. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
4. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
5. Addition Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to use the addition property of equality to help you solve problems. In addition, you can learn the formula for this property.
6. Subtraction Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, we look at the subtraction property of equality. Learn how it helps you to solve problems and how it keeps equations the same. Learn what you must do to both sides of an equation.
7. Multiplication Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to use the multiplication property of equality to help you solve problems in math. You will also learn the formula for this property.
8. Division Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, you will learn about the division property of equality, its formula, and how you can use it to help you solve problems where you are looking for an unknown number.
9. Transitive Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the transitive property of equality works when you have two equations that are equal to each other. Learn the formula for this property and how you can use it to help you solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math
- THEA Test Flashcards