About This Chapter
THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions - Chapter Summary
As you study for the THEA test, you can use the lessons in this chapter to better understand the properties of polynomial functions and make sure you're prepared to address the following on the exam:
- Defining polynomials, binomials and quadratics
- Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials
- Dividing polynomials with long division
- Using synthetic division to divide polynomials
- Understanding operations with polynomials in several variables
- Analyzing how to factor polynomial expressions
- Graphing cubics, quartics, quintics and beyond
This chapter can give you the practice you need to perform the mathematical operations associated with polynomials on the exam. Expert instructors give you the quality insight you need, while presenting each lesson in an entertaining package.
THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions Objectives
The THEA test is known as an Internet-Based Test (IBT) and is designed to gauge your comprehension of writing, reading and mathematics. Broken into three sections, you can take the test as one exam or one section at a time. This chapter prepares you to answer questions in the math section, which consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and requires a minimum score of 230 to pass.
You can review the lessons to ensure you're prepared to tackle polynomial functions on the exam. If you want to review specific sections of the lessons, simply use the timeline located below each video to skip to key topics. Self-assessment quizzes are available to gauge your comprehension of the lessons. Passing the math section of the test increases your chances of gaining admission to your Texas public college or university of choice.
1. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
4. How to Use Synthetic Division to Divide Polynomials
Synthetic division is a 'short-cut' way of dividing a polynomial by a monomial. You still need to know long division, sorry, but this method is way fun when you're dividing by a monomial!
5. Dividing Polynomials with Long and Synthetic Division: Practice Problems
Let's look at some more polynomial division problems. We will use long division and synthetic division, but this time we will have a couple of more involved problems. So, get out some paper and a pencil and let's begin!
6. Operations with Polynomials in Several Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn how to handle and work with polynomials that have more than one variable. This is important because in math you sometimes have to work with several variables at the same time.
7. Factoring Polynomial Expressions
When it comes to factoring polynomials, there are several methods to choose from depending on what kind of polynomial you are looking at. Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify and use the appropriate method.
8. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math
- THEA Test Flashcards