About This Chapter
THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to refresh your knowledge of radicals and square roots so you're prepared to answer related questions on the THEA test. Watching the lessons will ensure you're ready to:
- Define radical expressions
- Find the square root of a number
- Exhibit how to estimate square roots
- Showcase an ability to simplify expressions containing square roots
- Explain the process of simplifying the square roots of powers in radical expressions
Instructors offer step-by-step guidance to ensure you know how to perform mathematical operations associated with radicals and square roots. Gain access to the definitions and examples you need to fully comprehend the subject area.
THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots Objectives
Students are often required to take the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) Internet-Based Test (IBT) if they are interested in gaining admission to Texas public colleges or universities as entering freshmen. The test is broken into three sections that test students' comprehension of math, reading and writing. This chapter covers topics found in the mathematics section of the test. It consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and requires a minimum score of 230 to pass.
You can make preparing for questions in this section of the test easier by reviewing radicals and square roots in this chapter. In addition to watching video lessons, you can test your comprehension with short lesson quizzes and a practice chapter exam. If you run across lesson topics that require more clarity, simply submit your questions to experts who are eager to help.
1. Radical Expression: Definition & Examples
A radical expression is any mathematical expression containing a radical symbol (√). This lesson will go into more detail about the types of radical expressions and give some examples of how to work with them in mathematics. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
2. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
3. Estimating Square Roots
Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The square root is the inverse of the squared (or multiplying a number by itself) operation. There is an easy method for estimating the square root of a number, which you will learn in this lesson.
4. Simplifying Expressions Containing Square Roots
In order to write radical expressions correctly, they have to be written in their simplest form. This lesson will show you how to simplify expressions containing numbers and variables inside a square root.
5. Simplifying Square Roots of Powers in Radical Expressions
Simplifying radical expressions that contain powers can be tricky. There are a few simple rules that will help you perform these simplifications with ease. This lesson will teach you how.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math