About This Chapter
THEA Test: Scientific Notation - Chapter Summary
If you haven't explored scientific notation in a while, you might feel intimidated by the thought of tackling this subject area on the THEA test. To ease your mind as you study, review the videos in this chapter. In no time, you'll be prepared to:
- Define and discuss the rules of scientific notation
- Convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back
- Exhibit how to convert any number to scientific notation
- Compare numbers that are written in scientific notation
- Complete problems that address scientific notation
Use the lessons to develop or add to your existing study guide. Enjoy the process of reviewing the lessons in their video format, then highlight or take notes on lesson transcripts you print to ensure you fully understand this chapter.
THEA Test: Scientific Notation Objectives
The topics in this THEA Test: Scientific Notation chapter can help you prepare to tackle questions found in the math section of the exam which consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. Students take the test when attempting to enter a Texas public college or university as a freshman. To increase your chances of admission, you must earn a minimum score of 230 on the math section.
You can prepare for scientific notation questions by exploring the lessons in this chapter as well as taking short self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. Ask any questions you have about lesson topics to our experts who are eager to offer assistance.
1. What Is Scientific Notation? - Definition, Rules & Examples
Scientific notation is part of the language of math and science and allows us to deal with a vast array of numbers, large and small. Learn more about what it is, why it's important, and how to use it.
2. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
3. Converting Numbers to Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any number you come across into scientific notation. You will also learn why scientific notation is used and where you are most likely to see it.
4. Comparing Numbers Written in Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to compare numbers written in scientific notation with each other. You will learn how to tell which is larger and which is smaller.
5. Scientific Notation: Practice Problems
Scientific notation has a lot of exponents, but it's really not that bad - and it's really convenient for working with awkwardly big or small numbers! Get some practice here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math