About This Chapter
THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a comprehensive overview of the process of simplifying whole number expressions that can make studying for the THEA test easier. Review the short videos so you're ready for:
- Simplifying and combining like terms in algebraic expressions that use addition
- Combining like terms to simplify subtraction expressions
- Exhibiting how to simplify multiple expressions with both numbers and variables in them
- Showing the process of simplifying division problems with both numbers and letters in them
- Displaying how to simplify expressions with parentheses and exponents
As you get reacquainted with these topics, utilize the resources in this chapter to ensure you absorb the materials. In addition to benefiting from expert instruction, you can reach out to tutors with questions about the lessons.
THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions Chapter Objectives
The THEA test is designed to make sure students who are planning to enter their freshman years in Texas public colleges and universities are skilled in reading, mathematics and writing subjects. The topics in this chapter prepare you for questions found in the test's math section, which consists of 50 multiple-choice questions.
The exam is known as an Internet-Based Test (IBT), which means it is only taken on the computer. You can practice answering questions that are similar to those on the test by taking our short lesson quizzes. Using the lessons, quizzes and chapter exam for your test preparations can improve your chances of earning the math section's minimum passing score of 230.
1. How to Simplify an Addition Expression
Learn how to simplify and combine like terms in any algebraic expression that uses addition with this lesson. Also learn how to follow the order of operations when simplifying your expression.
2. How to Simplify a Subtraction Expression
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any subtraction expression by combining like terms. Learn what to look for and how easy this is to do.
3. How to Simplify a Multiplication Expression
In this video lesson, you will learn how to simplify a multiplication expression that has both numbers and variables in it. Learn what you need to watch for and how to write your simplified expression.
4. How to Simplify a Division Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn how to simplify a division problem that has both numbers and letters in it. See what you need to do to get the correct answer. Also, learn what you can do to make your job easier.
5. How to Simplify an Expression with Parentheses & Exponents
Watch this video lesson to learn how important it is to follow the order of operations. Learn what to do when you see parentheses and exponents in your math problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math