About This Chapter
THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations - Chapter Summary
Expert instructors in this chapter can help you gain greater insight into two-variable equations and systems of equations as you prepare to take the THEA test. Review the lessons to make sure you're able to answer questions that address:
- Understanding the process of solving and graphing two-variable inequalities
- Explaining the meaning and use of a system of equations
- Grasping how to use a system of equations
- Solving a system of linear equations in two variables
- Analyzing how to solve systems of linear equations in two variables using determinants
Decide which lessons you need to review most by exploring the right-hand sidebar or taking each lesson's self-assessment quiz. Afterward, you can watch the videos in the order that works best for your studies.
THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations Objectives
This chapter provides the resources you need to address topics in the mathematics section of the THEA test. This section consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and is scored separately from the writing and reading sections. You can use the lessons in this chapter to brush up on your knowledge of two-variable equations and systems of equations. Once you've reviewed the lessons, you can gauge your readiness to take the test with short quizzes and a chapter exam.
As a student seeking admission to a Texas public college or university, you might be required to take the THEA test to prove your ability to perform as an incoming freshman. Passing the reading and mathematics sections of the test requires earning minimum scores of 230, while passing the writing section requires a minimum score of 220.
1. Solving and Graphing Two-Variable Inequalities
With an inequality like y < 2x - 3, where do we start? We can look at y = 2x - 3 and graph it. We can use the graph to define all of the possible solutions.
2. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
3. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
4. How to Solve a System of Linear Equations in Two Variables
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve a system of linear equations in two variables by using the substitution method. Learn how easy it is to use on any linear system in two variables.
5. Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables Using Determinants
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily find the solution of a linear system in two variables by just using determinants. All you need to find the complete solution is to find three determinants.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math