About This Chapter
THEA Test: Units of Measurement - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a variety of resources that can help strengthen your knowledge of units of measurement as you study for the THEA test. Reviewing the lessons will ensure that you can answer questions that address:
- Analyzing standard units of measurement for length, weight, time and capacity
- Converting standard units of measurement
- Performing basic operations with measurement
- Understanding the units and conversion of the metric system
- Knowing how to convert units in the metric system
- Taking measurements with scales, meters and gauges
You can review the videos from your computer or watch them on the go via your smartphone or tablet. Expert instructors provide you with the definitions and examples you need to fully understand and address units of measurement on the exam.
THEA Test: Units of Measurement Chapter Objectives
The THEA test gauges the math, reading and writing comprehension of students interested in gaining admission to Texas public colleges and universities. This Units of Measurement chapter is designed to make studying for the test easier by highlighting topics that you'll find on the math section of the exam. This section consists of 50 multiple-choice questions that examine geometry, algebra, fundamental math and problem solving.
Feel better about your chances of earning a passing score of 230 or higher on the math section by reviewing the lessons. You can brush up on your knowledge of lesson concepts by watching this chapter's videos and reviewing its transcripts. To access questions similar in content and format to those on the test, take self-assessment quizzes and the chapter exam.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
3. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
4. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
5. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
6. How to Take Measurements with Scales, Meters & Gauges
In the real world, we take measurements all the time. Measurements are taken when you drive and when you weigh yourself, for example. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take measurements of things that are important.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Verbs
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math