About This Chapter
THEA Test: Using Verbs - Chapter Summary
The brief video lessons in this chapter can simplify the process of studying for the THEA test. Get reacquainted with the use of verbs so that in no time you're prepared to:
- Define and conjugate a verb
- Explain the meaning and structure of a verb phrase
- Share your understanding of verb tense and subject-verb agreement
- Exhibit knowledge of verb forms, including infinitives and participles
- Describe the infinitive verb form
The lessons offer benefits including the ability to access expert instructors from the comfort of your home, or on the go via your smartphone or tablet. Questions you have about lesson topics can be submitted to experts ready to offer assistance.
THEA Test: Using Verbs Chapter Objectives
This THEA Test: Using Verbs chapter offers a variety of resources you can use to make studying for the exam easier. In addition to giving you access to comprehensive video lessons, you can test your understanding of the lessons using self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. The topics covered in this chapter are found in the writing section of the exam.
Students who take this computer-based test are entering their freshman year in college and want to attend a Texas public college or university. The test assesses understanding of reading, writing and math and consists of 40 multiple-choice questions with one writing sample. Passing the writing section requires a minimum score of 220.
1. What is a Verb? - Definition & Conjugation
In this lesson, you'll learn what a verb is and how to conjugate verbs correctly to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples to help you understand verb conjugation.
2. What is a Verb Phrase? - Definition, Structure & Examples
In this lesson, you will review the basic definition of verbs. Then you will learn about verb phrases and be able to identify verb phrases in sentences. Test your understanding of these grammar concepts with a quiz.
3. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
4. Verb Forms: Participles & Infinitives
Using verbs correctly involves knowing more than just how to express action in a sentence. This lesson will show you a few special types of verb forms - infinitives, present participles, and past participles - as well as how to use them.
5. Infinitive Verb Form: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the infinitive, the basic building block of the verb in the English language. After learning about this you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the THEA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- THEA Test: Understanding Words & Phrases
- THEA Test: Analyzing Literature
- THEA Test: Reading Comprehension & Interpretation
- THEA Test: Point of View & Meaning in Literature
- THEA Test: Drawing Conclusions from Ideas in Text
- THEA Test: Using Critical Thinking to Evaluate Writing
- THEA Test: Understanding Reading Assignments
- THEA Test: Writing Style
- THEA Test: Writing Organization
- THEA Test: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- THEA Test: Using Modifiers
- THEA Test: Using Nouns & Pronouns
- THEA Test: Proofreading & Editing Your Writing
- THEA Test: Fundamental Arithmetic
- THEA Test: Simplifying Whole Number Expressions
- THEA Test: Negative Numbers
- THEA Test: Absolute Value
- THEA Test: Properties of Basic Math
- THEA Test: Solving Word Problems
- THEA Test: Fractions
- THEA Test: Decimals & Percentages
- THEA Test: Ratios & Proportions
- THEA Test: Units of Measurement
- THEA Test: Scientific Notation
- THEA Test: Radicals & Square Roots
- THEA Test: Radical Expressions
- THEA Test: Exponents
- THEA Test: Calculating & Plotting Data
- THEA Test: Solving Rational Equations
- THEA Test: Graphing Linear Equations
- THEA Test: Principles of Algebra
- THEA Test: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- THEA Test: Word Problems in Algebra
- THEA Test: Properties of Functions
- THEA Test: Quadratic Equations
- THEA Test: Two-Variable Equations & Systems of Equations
- THEA Test: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- THEA Test: Properties & Theorems of Geometry
- THEA Test: Principles of Geometry
- THEA Test: Area, Perimeter & Volume in Geometry
- THEA Test: Problem Solving in Math