About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help studying the themes in Heart of Darkness will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the novel's thematics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their studying of Heart of Darkness
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Themes in Heart of Darkness chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction makes the content simple to follow and understand.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Themes in Heart of Darkness chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on the novel. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the themes in Heart of Darkness for a standard English course. Topics covered include:
- The role of darkness within Heart of Darkness
- The presence of madness in the novel
- Analyzing evil in the book
- Instances of racism in Heart of Darkness
- Imperialism and colonialism in the novel
- Examining post-colonialism and impressionism in the book
1. Darkness in Heart of Darkness: Theme & Quotes
In this lesson, we will take a look at some important quotes and themes that deal with darkness in Joseph Conrad's Heart Of Darkness, which will be divided by topic. Key vocabulary is also addressed.
2. Madness in Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad's 1899 masterpiece, 'Heart of Darkness', is renowned for its scathing criticism of European imperialism. But the novella is also a stunning depiction of the slow descent into madness.
3. Evil in Heart of Darkness: Theme & Quotes
In this lesson, the portrayal of evil in Joseph Conrad's ~'Heart Of Darkness~' will be examined. The lesson will then conclude with a short summary and a quiz.
4. Racism in Heart of Darkness: Quotes & Examples
Racism is a prevalent theme in Joseph Conrad's novella ''Heart of Darkness.'' In this lesson, we'll look at some examples of racism and examine how it is depicted in various scenes throughout the story.
5. Imperialism in Heart of Darkness: Quotes & Analysis
What is power? What does it mean to conquer? These are the questions explored in Joseph Conrad's 1899 classic 'Heart of Darkness,' a novella that explores imperialism in all its terrible, conquering power.
6. Colonialism in Heart of Darkness: Quotes & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn about colonialism as it appears in Joseph Conrad's novel ''Heart of Darkness,'' including some specific examples and quotes illustrating how it plays a role in the novel.
7. Postcolonialism in Heart of Darkness
In this lesson, we explore two opposing interpretations of Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' and identify the question you should ask while reading. You'll also gain an understanding of how the postcolonial perspective approaches the book.
8. Impressionism in Heart of Darkness: Theme & Quotes
In this lesson we will explore the novel ''Heart of Darkness,'' written by Joseph Conrad, and look for instances of impressionism. We will discuss what impressionism is and use specific quotations as examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.