About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help analyzing or understanding the themes and symbols from The Metamorphosis will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to analyze the most important themes and symbols in the novella. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing themes and symbols in The Metamorphosis
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Themes & Symbols in The Metamorphosis chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Themes & Symbols in The Metamorphosis chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility:View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the themes and symbols from The Metamorphosis for a standard literature course. Themes/symbols covered include:
- Isolation and alienation
- The door
- Religious symbols
- The hospital
- The violin
1. Family in The Metamorphosis: Theme & Quotes
Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' looks at Gregor Samsa's abrupt transformation into a giant insect and how this affects relationships in his family. This lesson looks at the theme of family in 'The Metamorphosis' as well as key quotes.
2. Isolation & Alienation in The Metamorphosis: Theme & Quotes
Gregor Samsa feels alienated at work and at home in Franz Kafka's ''The Metamorphosis.'' When he suddenly becomes an insect and is of no further use to his family, they vow to get rid of him.
3. Transformation in The Metamorphosis: Theme & Quotes
In Franz Kafka's ''The Metamorphosis'', everything in the life of Gregor Samsa undergoes change. In this lesson, you will learn how the stress of Gregor's unfulfilling existence lead to a series of changes in himself and his family.
4. Modernism in The Metamorphosis: Theme & Quotes
Modernism was a common theme in stories written between the two World Wars. In this lesson, we will explore modernism in 'The Metamorphosis' by Franz Kafka, including modernist quotes.
5. Existentialism in The Metamorphosis: Theme & Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine the theme of existentialism from Franz Kafka's 'The Metamorphosis.' This is the story of a man who wakes up one day to discover he has transformed into an insect.
6. Door Symbolism in The Metamorphosis
A single set of double doors is what separates Gregor Samsa from his family. Gregor hides his secret, that he is a beetle, behind the wooden doors. In Franz Kafka's ''The Metamorphosis,'' the door is a significant portal.
7. Food Symbolism in The Metamorphosis
When Gregor Samsa wakes up one day as an insect, he quickly learns that his understanding of food and what food means to him has changed. In Franz Kafka's ''The Metamorphosis,'' food takes center stage as Gregor adapts to his new life.
8. Religious Symbols in The Metamorphosis
Objects and events in literature aren't always what they seem. In this lesson you will learn about the religious symbols used in 'The Metamorphosis' by Franz Kafka.
9. Hospital Symbolism in The Metamorphosis
Gregor Samsa undergoes a transformation in Franz Kafka's novel 'The Metamorphosis.' In this story, the hospital comes to stand for the futility of Gregor's situation and his isolation. Read more to explore quotes and the symbol of the hospital.
10. What Does the Violin Symbolize in The Metamorphosis?
An aspiring violinist, Grete Samsa's life changes the moment her brother Gregor, the breadwinner of the family, transforms into a beetle in Franz Kafka's ''Metamorphosis.'' This lesson explains the emotions symbolized by her violin.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.