About This Chapter
Theories of Business Management - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive chapter explains and analyzes popular theories of business management. Inside the chapter, you'll find lessons that break down important management functions and describe managerial roles within an organization. You'll also learn why business management and processes are crucial for the growth and financial success of a company.
Each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you check your understanding of these business management theories. We've made these lessons available 24/7 and accessible on any Internet-connected device so you can study whenever and wherever it's convenient. After working through this chapter's lessons, you should be able to:
- Explain how planning, organizing, leading and controlling contribute to the success of an organization
- Evaluate the roles of top, middle and low-level managers in an organization
- Outline Henry Mintzberg's managerial roles
- Assess the importance of business management processes
1. Four Functions of Management: Planning, Organizing, Leading & Controlling
A person who holds a management position inside an organization is required to think strategically and conceptually in order to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will describe the four functions of management and how they relate to organizational success.
2. Management in Organizations: Top, Middle & Low-Level Managers
The role of a manager in organizations is complex. While managers can come in different shapes and sizes they all share the task of utilizing people and resources to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will discuss the roles and functions of management found in each of the three levels of management.
3. Henry Mintzberg's Managerial Roles
There are many roles a manager has within an organization. Henry Mintzberg describes ten specific managerial roles most commonly seen within organizations. This lesson will discuss each of these roles and what behaviors are associated with them.
4. Business Management Processes: Definition, Types & Importance
We carry out processes every day and may not even know it. We all have our own routines and ways of getting things done. Business processes are critical because they have the power to determine how profitable a business will be.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Management: Help and Review course
- Business Management Basics
- Management Basics: Help and Review
- Classical School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Behavioral School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Contemporary and Future School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Planning in Organizations: Help and Review
- Organizational Change: Help and Review
- Organizing in Business Management: Help and Review
- Work Teams: Help and Review
- Leading in Organizations: Help and Review
- Leadership Theory: Help and Review
- Motivation in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Communication in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Controlling in Organizations: Help and Review
- Human Resources Basics: Help and Review
- Strategic Management and Managerial Decision Making: Help and Review
- Production and Quality Assurance: Help and Review
- Managing Organizational Changes
- International Management and Contemporary Issues: Help and Review
- Introduction to Small Business Management