About This Chapter
Therapeutic Concepts of Nutrition - Chapter Summary
In this chapter are lessons you can use to boost your knowledge of therapeutic concepts of nutrition. Review them from your computer or mobile devices any time to learn more about the benefits of antioxidants, uses of food additives and risks of vitamin supplements. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Define and share the uses for therapeutic foods
- Provide the meaning of food additives
- Discuss the benefits of vitamin supplements
- Share the definition of antioxidants
- Describe how to incorporate antioxidant-rich foods into your daily diet
- Explain the benefits of the macrobiotic diet
Each lesson in this chapter features a short, multiple-choice quiz that can assess your knowledge of topics covered. Take these quizzes before, during or after reviewing the lessons to get a good gauge of your comprehension of therapeutic concepts of nutrition. A chapter exam is available to reinforce concepts covered in all the lessons. If you have questions about lesson topics, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts.
1. What are Therapeutic Foods?
Therapeutic foods are prepared foods that contain calories, vitamins and minerals. They do not require cooking and have a long shelf life. Learn how ready-to-use therapeutic foods (RUTF) are being used to fight childhood malnutrition.
2. Food Additives: Definition, Examples & Uses
Food additives are substances added to preserve food or improve food characteristics. Learn about the definition, examples, and uses of food additives, and explore indirect and controversial food additives.
3. Vitamin Supplements: Benefits & Risks
Vitamin supplements are taken with the intention of adding useful nutritional value to one's diet which are not otherwise consumed by a natural food source. Discover how taking vitamin supplements have the potential of being either a great benefit or a serious health risk to a person's body, if not properly informed.
4. What Are Antioxidants? - Definition, Foods & Benefits
Antioxidants are defined as vitamins and elements that remove potentially damaging agents from the body. Discover what foods antioxidants are found in and identify the benefits of antioxidants for the body.
5. Macrobiotic Diet: Definition, Benefits & Examples
Some diets are definitely better for you than others. Is the macrobiotic diet one of them? Is there any science to back up this diet's claims? Find out what the macrobiotic diet is about in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the High School Health Science for Teachers: Help & Review course
- Health Care History, Trends & Impact
- Math Applications in Health Care Science
- Physical Sciences in Health Care
- Basics of Health Science Research
- Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols
- Formation of Medical Terms
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Digestive & Excretory Systems of the Human Body
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Human Nervous, Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
- Biological Development in Psychology
- Microbiology in Health Science
- Pathogens & Disease
- Disease Causes, Control & Prevention
- Public & World Health Issues
- Aging, Health & Family Issues in Society
- Nutritional Information & Needs
- Issues & Disorders Related to Nutrition
- Pharmacological Concepts & Technology
- Mental Health Concepts
- Preventative Health & Wellness
- Medical Technology & Patient Care
- Health Care Safety Policies & Procedures
- Communication in Health Care
- Teamwork in the Workplace
- Health Care Education & Career Guidance
- Health Care Legal & Ethical Responsibilities