About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Thermal Physics chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Overview of thermal physics||Thermodynamics, kinetic theory, pressure, volume and statistical mechanics|
|Tuesday||Measuring and converting temperature units||Kelvins and Celsius scales; absolute zero|
|Wednesday||Phase changes||Freezing, melting, sublimation, deposition, vaporization and condensation|
|Thursday||Heat Transfers||Conduction, convection and radiation; heat transfer during phase changes|
|Friday||Thermal expansion and calorimetry||Thermal expansion equations; calculating heat transfer and capacity|
1. Introduction to Thermal Physics
After watching this lesson you will be able to explain what thermal physics is, as well as the various areas of study and topics that make it up. A short quiz will follow.
2. Temperature Units: Converting Between Kelvins and Celsius
Have you ever wondered what the lowest possible temperature is? In this lesson, you will learn what temperature measures. You will also be introduced to the Kelvin scale (an absolute scale) and learn how it relates to the Celsius scale.
3. Phase Changes and Heating Curves
Learn the phases - gas, liquid, solid and plasma. Learn what a phase diagram is and what terms describe the movement between phases: melting, sublimating, freezing, vaporization, condensation, and deposition. Discover why heating curves have plateaus, what a phase transition is, and what happens during this transition.
4. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
5. Heat Transfer & Phase Changes
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what heat transfer is and describe the various phase changes that can result from heat transfer in terms of the position of the molecules. You will also be able to give the names of those phase changes. A short quiz will follow.
6. Thermal Expansion: Importance & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what thermal expansion is, why it is important, provide some examples of thermal expansion in real life and complete basic thermal expansion calculations. A short quiz will follow.
7. Calorimetry: Measuring Heat Transfer and Heat Capacity
This video lesson explains the technique of calorimetry used to measure heat transfer in chemical reactions. You will see how different materials have different specific heat capacities. You will learn how to carry out heat calculations using a simple equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Physical Science Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Understanding Matter Lesson Plans
- Understanding Gases Lesson Plans
- Understanding the Atom & Atomic Structure Lesson Plans
- The Periodic Table Lesson Plan Resource
- Understanding Chemical Bonding Lesson Plans
- Understanding Solutions Lesson Plans
- Stoichiometry Lesson Plan Resource
- Acids, Bases and Chemical Reactions Lesson Plans
- Atomic and Nuclear Physics Lesson Plans
- Understanding Motion Lesson Plans
- Force, Motion, and Newton's Laws Lesson Plans
- Work, Energy, Power, and Thermodynamics Lesson Plans
- Waves and Sound in Physical Science Lesson Plan Resources
- Light in Physical Science Lesson Plan Resources
- Electricity Lesson Plan Resources
- Magnetism Lesson Plan Resources
- Intro to Organic Chemistry Lesson Plan Resources
- The Universe Lesson Plan Resources
- Atmospheric Science Lesson Plan Resources
- Geologic Time Lesson Plan Resources
- The Internal Structure of the Earth Lesson Plans
- Plate Tectonics Lesson Plan Resources
- Minerals and Rocks Lesson Plan Resources
- Igneous Rocks Lesson Plan Resources
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look Lesson Plans
- Volcanoes Lesson Plan Resources
- Earthquakes Lesson Plan Resources
- Weathering and Erosion Lesson Plan Resources
- Water Balance Lesson Plan Resources
- Ground Water Lesson Plan Resources
- Coastal Hazards Lesson Plan Resources