About This Chapter
Thermal Properties of Matter - Chapter Summary
Examine matter and its thermal properties by opening up this chapter. Our instructors have created an easy-to-follow set of lessons that explain each of the major topics in this chapter. Whether you need to brush-up on this information or learn everything from the beginning, these lessons can give you a better understanding of such concepts as average kinetic energy, calorimetry, conduction, phase changes, radiation emitters and absorbers, the differences between heat and temperature, and the four processes of thermodynamics. Once you have completed the chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Describe how to measure temperature
- Identify techniques for measuring heat capacity and heat transfer
- Analyze the characteristics of heat transfer and thermal expansion
- Define latent heat and identify the related formula
- Examine and point out examples of the greenhouse effect
- Explain the Blackbody and Blackbody Radiation Theory
- Show the applications of the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics
- Determine the scientific explanation for heat
- Differentiate between the individual processes of thermodynamics
- Establish the equations used to determine the Carnot Cycle and efficiency
The majority of the lessons in this chapter are video lessons. Many users enjoy these interactive videos, because watching the videos makes it feel like you're in an actual classroom. Of course, you still get all the benefits of studying on your own, such as the ability to pause videos, rewind them, and re-watch them as much as you like. You can even watch the lessons out of order, and you can skip over the lessons you don't need to review.
1. What is Temperature? - Definition & Measurement
In the most intuitive terms, temperature refers to how hot or cold something is. Learn more about temperature as a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
2. Calorimetry: Measuring Heat Transfer and Heat Capacity
This video lesson explains the technique of calorimetry used to measure heat transfer in chemical reactions. You will see how different materials have different specific heat capacities. You will learn how to carry out heat calculations using a simple equation.
3. Thermal Expansion & Heat Transfer
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how heat transfers by conduction through a slab of material, explain how the shape and size of an object varies as it expands, and solve problems involving conduction. A short quiz will follow.
4. Latent Heat: Definition, Formula & Examples
Heat is an important component of phase changes. This lesson will delve into the concept of latent heat and how it affects of the behavior of matter during phase changes.
5. What is the Greenhouse Effect? - Definition & Impact
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the greenhouse effect is, how it works, how significant it is on Earth, and how humans have affected it. A short quiz will follow.
6. Blackbody & Blackbody Radiation Theory
This lesson will go over the perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, something called a blackbody, as well as the concept of blackbody radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
7. The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics
After watching this video, you will be able to state the zeroth law of thermodynamics, what it means, and why it is important. A short quiz will follow.
8. What is Heat? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of heat and find out how it differs from temperature. You will also explore practical applications of heat such as expansion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, specific heat, phase transitions, and heat engines.
9. Thermodynamic Processes: Isobaric, Isochoric, Isothermal & Adiabatic
Learn about the four thermodynamic processes and how they work: isobaric, isochoric, isothermal and adiabatic. See if you can tell the difference by taking a quiz.
10. Efficiency & the Carnot Cycle: Equations & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the Carnot Cycle, including what it represents and how it works, and calculate the efficiency of a particular Carnot engine. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Diversity in the Living World
- Plant Structures & Systems
- Overview of Plant Physiology
- Understanding Plant Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Ecology
- Understanding Plant Genetics
- Cell Structure, Function & Division
- Understanding Microbiology
- Basics of Genetics
- Biotechnology Overview
- Zoology Overview
- Structural Organization of Animals
- Types of Animals
- Protozoa Basics
- Biology & Human Welfare
- Type Study of Periplaneta Americana
- Ecology & the Environment
- Human Digestion, Respiration, Circulation & Excretion Systems
- Human Muscular, Skeletal & Nervous Systems
- Human Endocrine & Immune Systems
- Understanding Human Reproduction
- Understanding Genetics & Heredity
- Organic Evolution
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Solids in Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical) Flashcards