About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help studying the characters in Things Fall Apart will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the novel's characters. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their analysis of the characters in Things Fall Apart
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Things Fall Apart Character Analysis chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Things Fall Apart Character Analysis chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the characters in Things Fall Apart for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Overview of the main characters in Things Fall Apart
- Analysis of Okonkwo in Things Fall Apart and his role as the tragic hero
- Nwoye in Things Fall Apart, including his significant quotes
- Ikemefuna, Ekwefi, Ezinma, and Unoka
- Obierika, Uchendu, Chielo, and Mr. Brown
- Revered James Smith, The District Commissioner, Ogbuefi Ezeudu, and Akunna
- Nwakibie, Mr. Kiaga, Okagbue Uyanwa, Maduka, Obiageli, Enoch, and Ojiugo
- Things Fall Apart family tree
1. Things Fall Apart Main Characters
The interaction between the main characters of Chinua Achebe's ''Things Fall Apart'' paints a picture of a people and a village with a rich shared culture, but with individuals of different hopes, dreams, and flaws. Read on for a short summary of the main characters of the novel!
2. Okonkwo in Things Fall Apart: Character Analysis & Quotes
This lesson focuses on an analysis of Okonkwo, the main character in 'Things Fall Apart' by Chinua Achebe. The lesson also examines significant quotations related to this character.
3. Okonkwo as a Tragic Hero in Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe's 1958 masterpiece, 'Things Fall Apart', describes a once thriving Nigerian village about to be consumed by colonialism. The village leader, Okonkwo, is the epitome of the tragic hero, unwittingly bringing about destruction.
4. Nwoye in Things Fall Apart: Character Analysis & Quotes
Nwoye is an important character in Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. Learn how Nwoye's attitude, actions, and relationship with his father, Okonkwo, show how different people can react to the same experiences by reading on!
5. Ikemefuna in Things Fall Apart
In this lesson, you'll learn about the character of Ikemefuna from Chinua Achebe's novel 'Things Fall Apart.' Test your knowledge with a quiz afterwards.
6. Ezinma in Things Fall Apart
In Chinua Achebe's amazingly popular novel 'Things Fall Apart,' the character Ezinma plays a major role throughout the plotline. Learn who Ezinma is in this lesson and test yourself with a quiz.
7. Unoka in Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe's novel, ''Things Fall Apart'' introduces readers to fascinating characters like Unoka. Learn about Unoka in this lesson and test yourself with a quiz.
8. Obierika in Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe's novel Things Fall Apart is still studied today for its rich plot and fascinating characters. In this lesson, learn about the character Obierika and test yourself with a quiz.
9. Ekwefi in Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe's novel ''Things Fall Apart'' follows Okonkwo, an Igbo man, through the ups and downs of his life. But there are several other important characters throughout this work. Learn about one of those characters, Ekwefi, in this lesson, and test yourself with a quiz.
10. Uchendu in Things Fall Apart
In ''Things Fall Apart,'' Uchendu mentors the main character of Okonkwo in Okonkwo's troubled times and, as a very old man, serves as a reminder of the past culture among the Ibo people. Read on for a description of the character.
11. Chielo, Priestess of Agbala in Things Fall Apart
The novel ''Things Fall Apart'' has been translated into dozens of languages and studied around the world. Learn about one of the important characters of this book, Chielo, and test yourself with a quiz.
12. Mr. Brown in Things Fall Apart
''Things Fall Apart'', the famous postcolonial novel by Nigerian author Chinua Achebe, presents a memorable group of characters. In this lesson, learn about one of those characters and his significance to the novel, Mr. Brown.
13. Reverend James Smith in Things Fall Apart
In his novel ''Things Fall Apart'', Chinua Achebe introduces the reader to several well-rendered and interesting characters. In this lesson, learn about one of those characters, Reverand James Smith, and his role in the plot.
14. The District Commissioner in Things Fall Apart
There are many dynamic characters in Chinua Achebe's famous novel 'Things Fall Apart,' and one of those fascinating people is the District Commissioner. Learn about this man and his significance in this lesson.
15. Ogbuefi Ezeudu in Things Fall Apart
Ogbuefi Ezeudu is the oldest man in the village in ''Things Fall Apart'' by Chinua Achebe. He serves as a repository of knowledge for the Umuofia clan, and he is a conduit for information about other clans in the area.
16. Akunna in Things Fall Apart
Akunna is a significant character in 'Things Fall Apart' by Chinua Achebe because of the relationship he develops with the Christian missionary, Mr. Brown. Mr. Brown uses the knowledge he gains from Akunna to further his efforts to convert the Umuofia clan.
17. Nwakibie in Things Fall Apart
Nwakibie is a character who plays a big role in the life of the protagonist of ''Things Fall Apart'', Chinua Achebe's fascinating postcolonial novel. In this lesson, learn about Nwakibie and his part in the novel.
18. Mr. Kiaga in Things Fall Apart
In ''Things Fall Apart,'' there are many characters that are only present for a few chapters, yet they are still vital to the story. In this lesson, you'll learn about one such character: Mr. Kiaga.
19. Okagbue Uyanwa in Things Fall Apart
Often in literature, minor characters represent a larger pattern or idea. In this lesson, you'll learn about Okagbue Uyanwa, and how he contributes to overarching ideas in ''Things Fall Apart.''
20. Maduka in Things Fall Apart
Maduka is a character from Chinua Achebe's famous novel ''Things Fall Apart''. In this lesson, learn about Maduka's significance and the role he plays in the plot.
21. Obiageli in Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe's novel ''Things Fall Apart'' contains many nuanced characters, even minor ones like Obiageli. In this lesson, learn about Obiageli and her role in this work.
22. Enoch in Things Fall Apart
Enoch, the son of the snake priest, plays a pivotal role in 'Things Fall Apart' by Chinua Achebe. His actions contribute to the ultimate demise of the tribe's traditional way of life.
23. Ojiugo in Things Fall Apart
Chinua Achebe's famed post-colonial work ''Things Fall Apart'' brings to life a multitude of vibrant characters, like Ojiugo. In this lesson, learn about Ojiugo and her importance to the plot.
24. Things Fall Apart Family Tree
In this lesson, we will learn about the family tree in Things Fall Apart. We will learn about Okonkwo's relationship with several members of his family including his sons, Nwoye and Ikemefuna, and his daughter, Ezinma.
Things Fall Apart Character List & Flashcards
Explore the interactive flashcards in this collection to feel confident that you gain an understanding of the characters in the novel 'Things Fall Apart'. The flashcards help you retain information about the characters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.