About This Chapter
Thinking Critically in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
This corporate training resource is designed to teach your supervisors how to think critically in the workplace. These engaging videos cover the importance of creative and critical thinking in business, the critical thinking process and exercises and activities to encourage critical thinking. Our chapter works equally well when used for a group training workshop as it does when assigned to employees to complete individually. Learning these concepts is enjoyable with our user-friendly and easy-to-understand videos.
How It Helps
- Assists in training: Whether used on its own or as a part of a larger training program, this chapter is a handy way to train new supervisors or help existing supervisors improve their skills.
- Strengthens thinking skills: Your supervisors will understand the importance of creative and critical thinking in business after reviewing this chapter.
- Encourages hands-on learning: Strategies, activities and exercises are provided to give supervisors a greater knowledge of these concepts and their practical applications.
Our chapter is designed to help your supervisors do the following:
- Give examples of critical and creative thinking in business
- Outline the dimensions of critical thinking
- Understand the components of the critical thinking process
- Utilize activities and exercises to promote critical thinking
- Detail common barriers to critical thinking
- Explain the use of Socratic questioning in business
1. Creative & Critical Thinking in Business: Importance & Examples
Businesses are aware that the need for creative and critical thinking is essential to their success. This lesson explains creative and critical thinking and shows the importance of both in business.
2. Dimensions of Critical Thinking
If you have an important question to answer or a complex problem to solve, the process of thinking critically can determine coming to the right or the wrong conclusions. Continue reading to learn about five dimensions of critical thinking.
3. The Critical Thinking Process: Point-of-View, Assumptions, Evidence & Conclusions
In this lesson, you'll learn the steps involved in the critical thinking process. You'll consider how coming to a conclusion effectively involves multiple questions that get you thinking about a topic in a new way.
4. Critical Thinking: Exercises, Activities & Strategies
Critical thinking skills are something that we develop over time through practice and commitment. In this video, we'll explore some exercises, activities and strategies to improve your critical thinking skills and ability to be objective.
5. Common Barriers to Critical Thinking
Have you ever regretted how you behaved in a situation or a decision you made? In this lesson we will discuss critical thinking and the barriers that can prevent us from thinking clearly and making good decisions.
6. Socratic Questioning: Definition & Use in Business
One significant barrier to innovative business is making decisions or arriving at answers based on assumptions or without evidence. In this lesson, we'll discuss how Socratic questioning can counter this and other business barriers.
7. Practical Application: Problem Solving Checklist for Supervisors
This checklist will help you when trying to solve a problem in the workplace. Here, you'll be able to see a list of questions to ask yourself to help guide you to a solution to any workplace problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.