About This Chapter
Tolerance in Engineering - Chapter Summary
If you're interested in boosting your understanding of tolerance in engineering, this chapter can help. Lessons provide the definitions, thorough explanations and examples you need to grasp this concept. You can view all the lessons in the chapter or focus on just those tolerance in engineering topics that you need to learn more about. Also, test your knowledge with assessment options like multiple-choice lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. If you have questions about chapter topics, feel free to submit them to our experts. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define the limits to tolerance in engineering
- Explore various types of tolerance
- Share the meaning of profile tolerance
- Discuss symbols and design related to geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
1. Tolerance in Engineering: Definition, Limits & Types
Explore the numerous types of tolerance specifications and when to use them. Learn the definitions and why they're important in translating design to reality.
2. Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing: Symbols & Design
Explore geometric dimensioning and tolerances along with their symbols. Discover how they are properly used in different applications and how they uphold function within a system.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Engineering course
- Materials & Properties in Engineering
- Stress & Strain in Engineering
- Temperature & Heat in Engineering
- Tools & Processes in Engineering
- Pressure in Engineering
- Basics of Structural Engineering
- Basics of Chemical Engineering
- Electricity in Engineering
- Physics Concepts in Engineering
- Acoustics in Engineering
- Building Construction & Properties in Engineering
- Electrical Interference in Engineering