About This Chapter
Tools & Processes for Making Business Decisions - Chapter Summary
This chapter's entertaining, informative video lessons cover the process of decision making in organizational settings. Our professional instructors also use real world examples to explain approaches to employee empowerment and discuss the strategies defined by the Vroom-Yetton-Jago Normative Decision Model. Employees completing these corporate training lessons will learn about the following:
- The seven steps involved in making decisions
- The role of information systems in organizational decision making
- Situations in which employees should be involved in business decisions
- Pros and cons of employee empowerment
Along with short videos, our lessons include transcripts of the material and multiple-choice quizzes. We also provide a chapter exam that tests employees' mastery of the covered concepts.
How It Helps
- Explains key processes: This chapter takes employees step-by-step through the process of decision making and teaches them to identify and research issues to make well-planned choices for their company.
- Builds awareness: Employees need to be aware of the tools and situational factors that impact organizational decision making. Our lessons cover the types of decisions, the role of information systems and the cases where group decision making may be best.
- Enhances employee commitment: When employees feel they have a part to play in business decisions, they become more in tune with company goals and objectives. This chapter boosts employees' decision-making skills so that they can become an even more productive member of your workforce.
Once they finish this chapter, employees should be able to:
- Identify the steps of decision making
- Explain how information systems aid business decisions
- Describe the types of leadership and decision-making strategies
- Define employee empowerment and recognize its challenges
1. The Seven Steps of Decision Making
Effective decision-making is an essential skill for every manager. In this lesson, you'll learn about a seven-step process for effective decision-making. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
2. Practical Application: Seven Steps of Decision Making Infographic
This infographic will help supervisors with the decision making process. Here, you can visually follow the seven steps of decision-making to come to the right choice.
3. Decision Making in Organizations
Information systems support decision making in organizations. Understanding the nature of decision making can help in using information systems more effectively.
4. The Vroom-Yetton Leader Participation Model: Rethinking Business Decision Making
Leaders in an organizational environment have to make decisions daily. The Vroom-Yetton-Jago Normative Decision Model helps explain when and how to have employees participate in decision making.
5. Employee Empowerment: Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, you will learn about employee empowerment, including its different approaches, advantages and disadvantages. You will also have an opportunity to take a brief quiz after the lesson to reinforce your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.