About This Chapter
Tourism Policy & Planning - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review lessons on tourism policy and planning. Lessons cover tourism policy development, sustainable tourism and tourism planning. Take as much time as you need to review these lessons. To ensure you're ready to move on, take the short quiz accompanying each lesson to test your knowledge. These learning tools are written by professional instructors and highlight the most pertinent tourism policy and planning information in a user-friendly way. This chapter is designed to:
- Detail key tourism planning components
- Explain the process used to develop tourism policy
- Discuss the characteristics of sustainable tourism
1. Components of Tourism Planning
After this lesson, you'll understand what it takes to create a tourism plan for a particular area. You'll see that it is not just about building an attraction and letting tourists come. No, more is involved.
2. The Tourism Policy Development Process
Learn how tourism policies are developed in this lesson. You'll see how the economic growth of a nation or region is taken into consideration and discover how stakeholders of the tourism organization are guided to accept new policies.
3. Sustainable Tourism: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson goes over an important kind of tourism called sustainable tourism. You'll learn the definition and characteristics of this type of tourism before exploring two real-life examples of it in action.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 105: Introduction to the Tourism & Travel Industry course
- Overview of the Tourism Industry
- Consumer Behavior of Travelers
- World Tourism Organizations
- Tourism Economics
- Lodging Classifications
- Lodging Operations
- Food & Beverage Operations
- Transportation in Tourism Management
- Recreation Organizations in Tourism Management
- Intermediaries in Tourism Management
- Global Issues Affecting Tourism
- Tourism Marketing
- Tourism & Hospitality Trends
- Tourism & Travel Careers
- Studying for Hospitality 105