About This Chapter
Tourism & Recreation - Chapter Summary
People love to travel, relax and have fun. This chapter shows you why and how they do it through the tourism and recreation industries. Inside the chapter, you'll find bite-sized lessons that examine the connection between the hospitality and tourism industry, tourism and recreation organizations, the economic impact of tourism and much more. To supplement your studying experience, take the accompanying lesson quizzes and ask our instructors questions if they arise. You can access the chapter material 24/7 and study on any desktop, laptop or mobile device.
Review these lessons in order to:
- Understand how hospitality and tourism are connected
- Identify reasons why people love to travel
- Evaluate tourism's impact on the economy
- Assess the differences between organizations and promoters in the tourism industry
- Outline the benefits of ecotourism and adult leisure activities
- Describe the interactions between wellness and health
- Define various types of leisure and recreation activities
- Explain current issues and concerns regarding U.S. national parks
1. Relationship Between Tourism & Hospitality
Traveling to different destinations is a fun activity that millions of people do each year. Whether it is on a family vacation or a weekend away with friends, often times our travels requires services such as hotels and places to eat. Come along as we discover how tourism and hospitality are related.
2. Why do People Travel?
Travel can happen for many reasons, including business and personal visits. This lesson discusses a variety of reasons people go to other areas and the impact those trips can have on a local community.
3. Economic Impact of Tourism
In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which the tourism industry can impact the economy, focusing on job creation, transportation, and wildlife/nature conservation.
4. Promoters vs. Organizations in Tourism
There are two important categories in tourism: promoters and organizations. Each group has a relevant and important role in helping educate and provide opportunities for people to travel. Learn the differences between the two in this lesson.
5. Ecotourism: Definition & Benefits
Many people love to travel, but when it comes to visiting nature, there is a right way and a wrong way to go. Ecotourism is the right way. Find out why!
6. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
7. Leisure Activities of Adults: Types, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore some different types of adult leisure activities. We will discuss the different categories of activities to look at the specific health benefits of each category.
8. Recreation & Leisure: Activities & Programs
Recreation and leisure activities are growing in popularity and participation. These events provide an opportunity to stretch the body and mind, meet other people, and participate in new hobbies or interests.
9. National Parks in the US: Governing Agencies and Areas of Concern
The U.S. national parks are governed by the National Park Service, which is an agency within the Department of the Interior. Learn about the national parks of America and the current issues they face.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 101: Introduction to Hospitality course
- Hospitality Industry Overview
- Leadership & Management in the Hospitality Industry
- Key Management Functions in the Hospitality Industry
- Communication & Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry
- Improving Service in the Hospitality Industry
- Planning & Organizing in the Hospitality Industry
- Control Systems & Issues in the Hospitality Industry
- Hotel Classifications & Operations
- Food, Beverage & Alcohol Operations
- Restaurant Organization & Operations Overview
- Gaming Industry Overview
- Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events
- Studying for Hospitality 101