About This Chapter
Tourism & Travel Careers - Chapter Summary
Our instructors outline careers in the travel and tourism industry in this helpful chapter. You'll review careers and degrees in the tourism, hotel and food industry as you work through these lessons. The learning materials provided here have been written by professional instructors, so you can be confident in what you're learning. You'll find a quiz accompanying each lesson to help ensure you understand key topics and to identify any areas that will need further study. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Discuss the careers available to someone with a degree in travel and tourism management
- Detail some of the career paths in the hotel and lodging industry
- Outline some of the service and production roles in the food industry
1. Career Information for a Degree in Travel and Tourism Management
Learn about the education and preparation needed to work in travel and tourism management. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about degree requirements, training and job duties to find out if this is the career field for you.
2. Career Paths in the Hotel & Lodging Business
In this lesson, we'll discuss several different career paths that are available in the hotel and lodging industry. These paths include the front desk, maintenance, housekeeping, security, food and beverage, and management in the hotel industry.
3. Production & Service Roles in the Food Industry
Food industry jobs, such as production and service roles, involve producing a quality product and tending to customers. In this lesson, you'll learn more about various positions within a food and beverage operation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 105: Introduction to the Tourism & Travel Industry course
- Overview of the Tourism Industry
- Consumer Behavior of Travelers
- World Tourism Organizations
- Tourism Policy & Planning
- Tourism Economics
- Lodging Classifications
- Lodging Operations
- Food & Beverage Operations
- Transportation in Tourism Management
- Recreation Organizations in Tourism Management
- Intermediaries in Tourism Management
- Global Issues Affecting Tourism
- Tourism Marketing
- Tourism & Hospitality Trends
- Studying for Hospitality 105