About This Chapter
Transferring Real Property - Chapter Summary
These lessons can be used to support what you have learned or teach you new information on transferring real property. Every lesson in this chapter is designed to prepare you to master topics such as eminent domain and adverse possession. Some of the topics covered in this chapter include:
- Examples of eminent domain
- How landowners can protect themselves
- How property can be lost through adverse possession and eminent domain
- Transfers of property due to death or intestate succession
- Taxes that affect real property and its transfers
The lessons in this chapter are short and only take about 5 to 10 minutes to work through. When you are done reviewing a lesson, you can find out how much you have retained about the lesson through short quizzes. Each quiz comes with a matching worksheet and answer sheet. The chapter exam can be taken as well to test your comprehensive knowledge of the entire chapter.
1. What is Eminent Domain? - Definition, History & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the meaning of eminent domain, the government's right to exercise the power of eminent domain and examples of eminent domain.
2. What is Adverse Possession? - Definition, Law & Cases
In this lesson we will explore the legal theory of adverse possession. We'll explore the conditions that are required to be met and some of the ways landowners can protect themselves from it.
3. Regulatory Takings as Involuntary Transfers of Real Property
Sometimes the government 'takes' your property without even taking it. In this lesson, you'll learn about regulatory takings, including what they are and what they mean to property owners. A short quiz follows the lesson.
4. Transfer of Property Rights By Will or Intestate Succession
Every day real estate is transferred not by sale, but by reason of death. In this lesson, you'll learn about how real estate is transferred by a person's will or through intestate succession. A short quiz follows.
5. Real Estate Tax Assessments & Appeals
In this lesson, we'll discuss property taxes and how they're calculated. We'll also discuss real estate assessments and how they can be formally challenged.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Florida AQB Certified General Appraiser Exam: Study Guide course
- The Real Estate Market
- Real Estate Investment & Analysis
- Land Use & Regulations
- Land Descriptions & Surveys
- Forms of Property Ownership
- Advanced Property Ownership Issues
- Land & Site Valuation
- Sales Comparison Approach to Real Estate Valuation
- Cost Approach to Real Estate Valuation
- Income Approach to Real Estate Valuation
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)