About This Chapter
Transformation of Matter & Energy in Cells - Chapter Summary
Whether you know a little or a lot about the transformation of matter and energy in cells, this short chapter can help you gain full comprehension. Our engaging lessons cover a variety of related topics, including cellular respiration, photosynthesis and cell division. Study this chapter at the pace that works for you. When finished, you will be able to:
- Define cellular respiration and describe energy transfer in cells
- Explain the process of photosynthesis
- Describe how energy and matter change during photosynthesis
- Differentiate between photosynthesis and cellular respiration
- List the phases and factors of cell growth
- Detail how cell division differs between fungal, animal, plant and bacterial cells
- Discuss how the cell membrane is able to maintain homeostasis
This chapter offers customization features that enable you to select your lessons of study, review them in your sequence of choice and visit them as often as you'd like. Around-the-clock computer and mobile access lets you review the lessons whenever and wherever your schedule permits. If you hit a snag while studying the lessons, gain clarity by sending your questions to our experts. Find out how much you understand about the transformation of matter and energy in cells by taking our mini-quizzes and practice exam.
1. Cellular Respiration: Energy Transfer in Cells
Watch this short video to learn the basics about converting organic compounds into ATP, also known as cellular respiration. We'll look at an overview of the process.
2. Photosynthesis: Definition & Reactions
Some people may falsely assume plants to be weaker than animals. However, plants and a few other organisms harness light energy from the sun to feed the rest of us. This lesson will introduce you to how they do it.
3. Matter & Energy Changes During Photosynthesis
Photosynthesis is how plants make food. Like all processes, it involves inputs and outputs of matter and energy. Learn about those flows of matter and energy, and what they teach us about the universe.
4. Comparing & Contrasting Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis
In this lesson we will compare and contrast respiration and photosynthesis by considering the major steps occurring in each process, where these processes take place, and the organisms that use these forms of metabolism.
5. Cell Growth: Phases & Factors
This lesson provides an overview of cell growth and division. It includes descriptions of how major cell types divide, why cell growth and division are important, and images to guide your understanding. The lesson is followed by a short quiz.
6. What is Cell Division?
This lesson is on cell division. We'll learn what cell division is and how the process differs between bacteria, plant, animal and fungal cells. Then test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
7. How Does the Cell Membrane Maintain Homeostasis?
Maintenance of homeostasis is important to the survival of an organism. In this lesson, you will learn what mechanisms allow the cell membrane to play a major part in maintaining homeostasis for the cell and the organism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the M-STEP Science - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- Scientific Inquiry & Reflection
- Earth Systems Overview
- Energy & Biochemical Cycles in Earth Systems
- Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Advanced Rock Cycle
- The Interior of the Earth
- Plate Tectonics Theory
- Earthquakes & Volcanoes Overview
- Hydrogeology Overview
- Oceans & Climate
- Weather and Storms
- The Earth & Sun as a Part of a Galaxy
- Basics of Earth History & Geologic Time
- Climate Change
- Living Organism Composition
- Interdependence of Living Systems & the Environment
- Ecosystems & Populations
- DNA & Mutations
- Mitosis & Meiosis
- Evolution & Biodiversity
- Physics & the Motion of Objects
- The Physics of Forces & Motion
- Forms of Energy
- Basics of Waves
- Light, Electricity & Nuclear Reactions
- Energy Transfer & Conservation
- Properties & States of Matter
- Chemical Changes in Matter
- M-STEP Science - Grade 11 Flashcards