About This Chapter
Transitioning to Management - Chapter Summary
Beginning managers will find content on planning, motivating staff and team development in this corporate training chapter. Your managers will become well-acquainted with:
- The multiple benefits of planning in management
- Common errors of new managers
- Tips that position managers for success
- Guidelines for building a team
Your managers can ease their transition by viewing this chapter's engaging lessons on a computer or a handheld device. Each of the lessons features a practice quiz so that managers can immediately assess their comprehension after reviewing the content.
How It Helps
- Promotes planning: New managers will learn how devoting enough consideration to planning will help them to meet objectives.
- Targets prevention: A number of common errors that first-time managers make are covered in this chapter, and watching these videos can help your managers avoid these mistakes.
- Strengthens work relationships: Managers learn key tips that focus on building a positive relationship with staff.
By the end of this chapter, managers will be able to:
- Explain why planning plays such an integral role in an organization's success
- Understand the variety of common missteps among beginning managers
- Discuss factors that foster success, such as effective delegation and leadership
- Put into place the kinds of practices that grow team relationships
1. Planning as a Function of Management
In this lesson, you will learn the role of planning as a function of management. Discover the advantages of and barriers to planning, and how it is used to achieve organizational goals.
2. Common Mistakes of First-Time Managers
Being an effective leader can be challenging when it's your first time managing. This lesson explains some common mistakes you can avoid to be successful as a first-time manager.
3. Tips for Succeeding as a New Manager
Do you want to become a successful new manager? Find out how with these tips on how to build your skill level and your understanding of the business you are operating.
4. Building Your Team as a First-Time Manager
This lesson will discuss steps you can take as a first-time manager to ensure you are best utilizing the skills of your team. You'll also learn to build relationships that will create a productive staff and make you look like a superstar.
5. Practical Application: New Manager Checklist for Success
This checklist will help you be more successful as a new manager. Here, we'll review tasks and strategies needed for you to manage a team of employees.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Tips for First-Time Managers course