About This Chapter
Transportation in Tourism Management - Chapter Summary
Our instructors outline transportation in tourism management in this engaging chapter. Topics covered include the evolution of transportation and how it is utilized in travel and tourism. Move through this chapter at your own pace, and take the short quizzes that follow each lesson to ensure you're keeping up with the information. If you have questions after reviewing the lessons, feel free to reach out to one of our instructors for any assistance that you need. This chapter is designed to:
- Describe the importance of the transportation revolution
- Detail the major forms of transportation used in tourism and travel
- Explain how tourism is impacted by transportation
1. The Transportation Revolution: Turnpikes to Steamboats to Railroads
In the half-century before the Civil War, America experienced a transportation revolution that improved the way people and goods crossed the nation, opened up new areas for settlement and altered the centers of economic power.
2. Major Forms of Transportation in Travel & Tourism
In this lesson, you'll learn how people get around to various destinations and activities when they go traveling and touring. You'll also discover how travelers can use several different modes of transportation.
3. Transportation's Impact on Tourism
What factors influence your choice of destination on a vacation? One of them might be transportation. Find out how and why in this lesson that identifies how tourism and transportation relate to one another.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 105: Introduction to the Tourism & Travel Industry course
- Overview of the Tourism Industry
- Consumer Behavior of Travelers
- World Tourism Organizations
- Tourism Policy & Planning
- Tourism Economics
- Lodging Classifications
- Lodging Operations
- Food & Beverage Operations
- Recreation Organizations in Tourism Management
- Intermediaries in Tourism Management
- Global Issues Affecting Tourism
- Tourism Marketing
- Tourism & Hospitality Trends
- Tourism & Travel Careers
- Studying for Hospitality 105