About This Chapter
Treating Bites & Stings - Chapter Summary
Bites and stings can have varying reactions, infection signs and treatment options, depending on the source of the injury. The lessons in this chapter focus on symptoms and signs to watch for in those who have been bitten or stung by dogs, spiders or hornets, as well as how basic care should be administered.
Each lesson provides detailed examples presented by expert instructors so you can fully grasp the topic being discussed. The short lessons can be accessed at any all times, from any device, which allows you flexibility and convenience in setting your study schedule. Self-assessment quizzes help you determine if you have grasped all of the concepts discussed in each lesson before you move on.
How It Helps
Having a firm understanding of these basic first aid concepts regarding bites and stings can prove beneficial for those who work in healthcare. This chapter can help you in your current position or give you the tools you need to make a career change.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Administer care for dog bite wounds
- Recognize signs of infection from a dog bite wound
- Define and relate symptoms of loxoscelism
- Identify signs of hornet stings
- Apply effective treatment for hornet stings
1. Dog Bite Puncture Wounds: Care & Signs of Infection
Dog bites can cause puncture wounds and should be treated promptly to cleanse and close the wound and to provide infection prevention. In this lesson, we will review the care of a dog bite puncture wound and the signs of infection that may indicate that further medical care is necessary.
2. Loxoscelism: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Brown recluse spiders get a pretty bad rap. But do they deserve it? That depends on your encounter with one. If you have a severe case of loxoscelism you'll think they deserve their reputation. Find out what this is and how it's treated.
3. Hornet Stings: Symptoms & Treatment
Hornets, like many other flying insects, use their sting as a warning or for protection. Read this lesson to learn the common symptoms of hornet stings and typical remedies used to treat them.
4. Fruit Fly Allergy: Symptoms & Treatment
Everyone knows the annoying tiny insects that fly around fruit and can cause small red spots on your skin. But do you know how these spots are actually occurring? You might be surprised. Find out in this lesson.
5. Diseases Caused by Houseflies
We all know houseflies and see them around everywhere. The housefly does not bite us, but it can carry some deadly infections. In this lesson we learn about diseases caused by houseflies.
6. Tick-Borne Diseases: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson goes over some aspects of four different tick-borne diseases. You'll get to appreciate the similarities and differences in their signs, symptoms and treatments as a result.
7. Types of Tick-Borne Diseases
This lesson goes over many of the different types of tick-borne disease. You'll learn what they're called, where they're found, what transmits them, and what causes them.
8. Scorpion Stings: Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the painful experience of scorpion stings. By the end of the lesson, you will be able to explain symptoms of different types of scorpion stings and various treatments.
9. Vinegaroon Bite: Symptoms & Treatment
Vinegaroon is a type of spider that releases an acidic spray when it bites. In this lesson, learn about the symptoms and treatments for someone who gets bit and sprayed by a vinegaroon.
10. Irukandji Syndrome: History, Symptoms & Treatment
Irukandji syndrome results from a sting from a jellyfish and includes very serious symptoms. In this lesson, learn about the history, symptoms, and treatment for Irukandji syndrome.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease