About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Treatment in Abnormal Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Individual therapy|
|Definition of individual therapy, psycholanalysis, dream analysis|
Definition of group therapy, types of group therapy
|Tuesday|| Psychiatric drugs|
|Types of psychiatric drugs and conditions they are used for|
Generally discredited treatments including lobotomy and insulin shock therapy
|Wednesday|| Social learning|
Community approaches to mental health treatment
|Social learning theory and therapy|
Deinstitutionalization and the Community Mental Health Center movement
|Thursday||Treatment effectiveness||Ways to measure the effectiveness of treatments, including controlled research studies and patient impressions|
|Friday||Issues in mental health treatment||Cultural factors, effectiveness, empirical validation|
1. Individual Therapy: Psychodynamic, Cognitive & Behavioral
What are the different approaches to individual therapy? In this lesson, we'll watch as Mary tries to find the type of individual therapy that works best for her. Will she be able to overcome her problems? Let's find out!
2. Group Therapy: Definition, Uses & Types
When an individual has personal problems they want to work on with the help of a professional therapist, they don't necessarily have to do it one-on-one. They could benefit from group therapy instead. When is group therapy a good option?
3. Overview of Psychiatric Drugs: History, Types & Uses
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
4. Biological Therapy for Psychological Problems: Definition & Examples
Do you think psychological problems can be fixed with electric shocks or brain surgery? Find out more about biological treatments for mental problems and the controversial role they played in treating patients.
5. What is Social Learning in Abnormal Psychology Treatment?
In this lesson, we'll examine the effect that society has on individuals by looking at how social learning theory can explain the cause and treatment of some mental disorders.
6. Community Approaches to Mental Health Treatment: Prevention & Intervention
How are people with mental illnesses treated? In this lesson, we'll look at community mental health initiatives aimed at helping people prevent and get treatment for psychological disorders.
7. Measuring Psychological Treatment Effectiveness
In this lesson we'll explore factors that contribute to treatment effectiveness in psychological treatment plans. We'll also analyze ways to assess effectiveness and the importance of doing so.
8. Issues in Mental Health Treatment: Cultural Factors, Effectiveness & Empirical Validation
Although psychological treatment continues to improve, there are still some issues in this area. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cultural factors that affect treatment and the difficulty of proving treatment effectiveness via empirical validation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Research Methods Lesson Plans
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- The Biological Model of Abnormality Lesson Plans
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Diathesis-Stress Model Lesson Plans
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders Lesson Plans
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Lesson Plans
- Substance Use Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Psychotic Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life-Span Development Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Factitious Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans