About This Chapter
Trends in Healthcare - Chapter Summary
Professional instructors created this chapter on trends in healthcare to make these subjects approachable and easy to understand. Work at your own pace as you review U.S. health care reform and how information technology is changing the way healthcare works. These resources are accessible to you 24 hours a day on any smartphone, tablet or computer. If you have questions along the way, reach out to an expert through the Dashboard for help. This chapter is designed to help you:
- Define U.S. health care reform and its policies
- Discuss the functions of accountable care organizations
- Provide the definition and model of a medical home
- Describe the ways healthcare is being changed by information technology
- Outline data breaches in health care
- Identify the impact of advances in health care technology
1. U.S. Health Care Reform: Definition & Policies
In this lesson, you will learn important definitions and policies that are currently driving healthcare reform. This is a hot topic that spans many spheres of government and the private sector, and is especially important for those looking for healthcare coverage. Let the journey begin!
2. Accountable Care Organizations: Definition & Functions
In this lesson, we'll define a new healthcare program called accountable care organizations. You'll also learn about why they were created, and see examples of their goals and successes.
3. Medical Home: Definition, Model & Functions
A medical home is a healthcare model that is supposed to make the patient the center of care. This lesson will discuss the definition, model, and function of the medical home.
4. How Information Technology is Changing Healthcare
This lesson will examine how information technology throughout healthcare is used to support patients, hospital staff, and other providers involved in care delivery and the decision-making processes in healthcare organizations.
5. Data Breaches in Healthcare
More and more, data breaches are starting to happen to healthcare records as often as financial records. This lesson explains why that could be more dangerous for consumers.
6. Impact of Advances in Health Care Technology
From the rise of the personal computer to the use of surgical robotics, healthcare technology has changed dramatically. Read this lesson to learn more about how technological advances have made tremendous strides in terms of healthcare access, affordability, and overall patient care.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 305: Healthcare Finance & Budgeting course
- Introduction to Healthcare Finance
- Organizational Structure in Healthcare
- Healthcare Organizations & Services
- Financial Reporting in Healthcare
- Health Insurance & Reimbursement
- Estimating Healthcare Costs
- Healthcare Financial Management
- Accounting & Income Statements in Healthcare
- Using Balance Sheets in Healthcare Finance
- Financial Assessment in Healthcare
- Healthcare Planning & Budgeting
- Project Costs & Evaluation in Healthcare
- Healthcare Staffing Needs & Forecasting
- Required Assignment for Health 305