About This Chapter
1. Triangles: Definition and Properties
What makes a shape a triangle? In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a triangle, then analyze the parts of triangles, including the vertices, base and height.
2. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
3. Classifying Triangles by Angles and Sides
Not all triangles are the same. There are equilateral, isosceles and scalene triangles. Then there are right, acute and obtuse triangles. In this lesson, we'll learn how to classify triangles using their sides and angles.
4. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Interior and Exterior Angles of Triangles: Definition & Examples
Knowing just a few things about the interior or exterior angles of triangles is sometimes all you need to put all the pieces together. Find out more in this lesson.
6. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
7. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
8. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
9. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
10. Geometric Proofs: Definition and Format
Do you have something to prove? Can you explain why? In this lesson, we'll learn all about geometric proofs, including the parts that comprise a proof.
11. Congruence Proofs: Corresponding Parts of Congruent Triangles
Congruent triangles have congruent sides and angles, and the sides and angles of one triangle correspond to their twins in the other. In this lesson, we'll try practice with some geometric proofs based around this theorem.
12. Practice Proving Relationships using Congruence & Similarity
In geometry, if two shapes are similar they have the same shape but different sizes, while two congruent shapes have the same shape and size. In this lesson, you will learn how to prove that shapes are similar or congruent.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics Middle Grades & Early Secondary (105): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Mathematical Problem Solving
- NES Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- Understanding Relations & Functions
- Overview of Linear Functions & Equations
- Quadratic Equations, Functions & Inequalities
- Overview of Polynomial Equations, Functions & Inequalities
- Working with Absolute Values
- Overview of Rational & Radical Functions
- NES Math: Piecewise Functions
- NES Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Scientific Measurement Principles & Calculations
- NES Math: Foundations of Geometry
- NES Math: Geometric Figures
- NES Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- NES Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- NES Math: Conic Sections
- NES Math: Geometric Solids
- NES Math: Analytical Geometry
- Statistics: Principles & Techniques
- Probability: Principles & Techniques
- Overview of Discrete Mathematics
- Performing Operations on Matrices & Vectors
- Solving Problems with Sequences & Series
- NES Mathematics Middle Grades & Early Secondary Flashcards