About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Trigonometry Homeschool Curriculum course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about triangle trigonometry. There is no faster or easier way to learn about triangle trigonometry. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about the Pythagorean Theorem, right triangles and trigonometric ratios.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Triangle Trigonometry unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Triangle Trigonometry Unit Objectives:
- Understand the relationship between similar right triangles and trigonometric ratios.
- Explain and apply the Pythagorean Theorem to problems with right triangles.
- Use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve distance problems without a right triangle.
- Use the Pythagorean Theorem and trigonometric functions together to solve problems.
1. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
In mathematics, trigonometric ratios explore the measurements of the angles and sides of right triangles. Learn about trigonometric ratios and similarities as they apply to right triangles, what causes two right triangles to be similar, and how to calculate sine, cosine, and tangent.
2. Practice Finding the Trigonometric Ratios
Trigonometric ratios can help determine the lengths of the sides of a triangle in different situations. Learn what trigonometric ratios are, learn how to solve for sides and angles, and practice finding these trigonometric ratios in a practice problem.
3. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
Discover how the Pythagorean theorem helps people to solve for all sides of a triangle. Learn about the basics, purpose, and applications of the Pythagorean theorem.
4. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
The Pythagorean theorem outlines principles for right triangles, but it can also be used to calculate distance between points. Learn how this theorem is applied to practical examples of ice cream, skateboard ramps, and even the cliff-peak in 'The Lion King.'
5. Trigonometry and the Pythagorean Theorem
The SohCahToa and the Pythagorean Theorem are two rules for finding equations in trigonometry. Learn more about the definitions of the SohCahToa and the Pythagorean Theorem, understand how they work, and how to use them in calculus.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Types of Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Systems of Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Modeling: Homeschool Curriculum
- Introduction to Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Coordinate Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing with Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponential Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Applications: Homeschool Curriculum
- Analytic Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polar Coordinates: Homeschool Curriculum
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Homeschool Curriculum