About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Trigonometric Applications chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Solving oblique triangles with the law of cosines||How to use the law of cosines to solve oblique triangles|
|Tuesday||Real world problems and the law of cosines||How the law of cosines can be applied to real world problems|
|Wednesday||Solving triangles with the law of sines||How to use the law of sines to solve oblique triangles and how to determine when it's necessary to use it for solving triangles|
|Thursday||Real world problems and the law of sines||How the law of sines can be applied to real world problems|
|Friday||Proving addition and subtraction formulas||How to prove addition and subtraction formulas for sine, cosine and tangent|
1. Solving Oblique Triangles Using the Law of Cosines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of cosines to help you find a missing side or missing angle of any kind of triangle. Also, you will see what oblique triangles are.
2. Solving Real World Problems Using the Law of Cosines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of cosines to solve real-world problems. Learn what kinds of real-world problems the law of cosines can help you solve.
3. Using the Law of Sines to Solve a Triangle
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of sines to find a missing side of a triangle as well as a missing angle of a triangle. Learn what you need to know about the triangle in order to use the formula.
4. Solving Real World Problems Using the Law of Sines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of sines to solve problems that you will encounter in the real world. Learn what kind of shape you need in order to solve your real world problems.
5. Proving the Addition & Subtraction Formulas for Sine, Cosine & Tangent
Watch this video lesson, and you will see how the angle sum and difference identities are derived for sine, cosine, and tangent. You will also learn how you can use these identities to help you solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Trigonometry Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Real Numbers: Types & Properties Lesson Plans
- Working with Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Complex Numbers Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Quadratics Lesson Plans
- Working with Quadratic Functions Lesson Plans
- Coordinate Geometry Review Lesson Plans
- Functions for Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Function Operations Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry Lesson Plans
- Graphing with Functions Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions Basics Lesson Plans
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions Lesson Plans
- Using Trigonometric Functions Lesson Plans
- Triangle Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants Lesson Plans
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations Lesson Plans
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles Lesson Plans