About This Chapter
Two-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry - Chapter Summary
Our instructors explain some of the most important concepts relating to two-dimensional coordinate geometry in this informative chapter, including rays, line segments, angles and points. Fun lessons outline how to divide line segments into equal parts and use geometry to construct perpendicular lines. You'll also learn how to construct squares, equilateral triangles and hexagons inscribed in circles. After reviewing these lessons, you should be ready to:
- Use a straight edge and compass to copy line segments
- Calculate the midpoint of a line using the midpoint theorem
- Construct an angle bisector
- Utilize the distance and midpoint formula
- Find the endpoint using algebra
Study any time you'd like from any mobile phone, computer or tablet with these professionally-designed learning tools. Video transcripts cover all the essential topics and vocabulary words and can be printed for handy offline study guides. Use the video tabs feature to skip to any portion of a video lesson that you'd like to review rather than watching the entire video. If you'd like help with any of the lesson topics, feel free to contact one of our instructors for assistance.
1. Line Segments & Rays: Definition & Measurement
Watch this video lesson to learn the difference between a line segment and a ray. You will also learn how to measure and add line segments. Learn why you can't measure or add a ray.
2. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
3. Geometric Constructions Using Lines and Angles
Watch this video lesson to learn about geometric construction and how you can copy line segments and angles without using any numbers. All you need is a straight edge and a compass.
4. Line Segment Bisection & Midpoint Theorem: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to bisect a line segment without measurements using just a compass and a straight edge. You'll also learn about the midpoint theorem, which lets you calculate the midpoint if you have the measurements.
5. Dividing Line Segments into Equal Parts: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson to learn one way to easily divide any line segment into as many equal parts as you need. Also, learn where in real life this skill comes in handy.
6. Constructing Perpendicular Lines in Geometry
In this video lesson, you will see how to use geometric construction to draw perpendicular lines. Learn why geometric construction is useful. Also find out the only two tools in addition to your pencil that you need to do this.
7. Constructing an Angle Bisector in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn a cool way to split an angle in half. You can use this method to split a pie slice in half where you can be sure each side is equal.
8. Constructing Equilateral Triangles, Squares, and Regular Hexagons Inscribed in Circles
Constructing an accurate triangle, square, or hexagon within a circle is a matter of a few simple steps, and can be extremely practical. In this lesson, we'll practice the construction of those three shapes.
9. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
10. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
11. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
12. End Point: Definition & Formula
This lesson will familiarize you with endpoints, how to identify them, and how to find them algebraically. We'll go over what endpoints look like on a graph and what information we need to identify endpoints of a line segment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Expressions & Reasoning in Math
- Complex Numbers & Polynomials in Algebra
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions Overview
- Mathematical Sequences & Series Overview
- Series & Sequences Application
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Equations
- Binomial Theorem Overview
- Overview of Matrices & Determinants
- Sets & Relations in Math
- Introduction to Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Identities Overview
- Real World Trigonometric Applications
- Operating with Functions
- Solving Inequalities
- Straight Lines & Angles in Coordinate Geometry
- Circular Arc & Circles in Coordinate Geometry
- Conic Sections in Coordinate Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Limits & Continuity in Differential Calculus
- Calculating Derivatives
- Differentiable Functions & Min-Max Problems
- Differentiability in Integral Calculus
- Overview of Probability in Calculus
- Vectors & Scalars in Math
- Dispersion & Frequency Distributions in Statistics
- Linear Programming & Systems of Equations
- Definite Integrals
- Permutation & Combination
- Mathematical Modeling Overview
- BITSAT Exam - Math Flashcards