About This Chapter
Types & Application of Casts - Chapter Summary
Our instructors make it easy to understand various cast types and how they are applied to the body. Explore entertaining lessons to closely examine casts for different body parts. Also, ensure you comprehend casting techniques and cast syndrome. When ready, check your knowledge of these concepts by taking mini quizzes and a practice exam. If you have questions about topics covered in this chapter, feel free to send them to our experts. In no time, you will be ready to:
- Describe ulnar gutter, radial gutter and thumb spica casts for hands and fingers
- Exhibit knowledge of elbow, wrist and forearm casts
- Compare and contrast long leg and short leg casts
- Differentiate between a splint and a cast
- Define and describe cast syndrome in orthopedics
- List types of urinary casts
- Identify and discuss different orthopedic casting techniques
1. Hand & Finger Casts: Ulnar Gutter, Radial Gutter & Thumb Spica
Do you know which specific type of injuries require the use of ulnar gutter, radial gutter, and thumb spica casts? This lesson will provide the answers to this question, as well as other great bits of information about these casts.
2. Forearm, Wrist & Elbow Casts: Short Arm & Long Arm
Fractures to the forearm, wrist, and elbow are fairly common and can happen to anyone. This lesson will teach you about two specific types of casts used for these injuries: short arm and long arm casts.
3. Long Leg & Short Leg Casts
What are the differences between long leg and short leg casts? What types of injuries require long leg casts and what types of injuries require short leg casts? Learn the answer to these questions and much more by checking out this lesson.
4. What is the Difference Between a Splint & a Cast?
Both splints and casts are used to stabilize injuries while the body heals. So why choose one over the other? This lesson will review splints and casts including the reasons for use, materials, and pros and cons of each.
5. What is Cast Syndrome in Orthopedics?
Should you worry if you have a cast on your leg? Will you get cast syndrome? Find out, in this lesson. We're going to define and explain what cast syndrome really is.
6. Urinary Casts: Definition & Types
This lesson goes over the many different types of urinary casts. You'll learn what urinary casts are, where they form, and some of the reasons for why they might form.
7. Orthopedic Casting Techniques
In this lesson, you will learn about the different methods used to heal broken bones. From the time of the ancient Egyptians, to modern casting, to 3-D printing, medicine has used increasingly innovative and creative techniques to help bones heal faster and more comfortably.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease