About This Chapter
Types & Impact of Pollution - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of the impact of different types of pollution. You'll have an opportunity to review potential problems with rising carbon dioxide within the Earth's atmosphere. You can also go over differences between surface water and groundwater pollution. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- List physical, chemical, and biological pollutants
- Discuss sources of air and water pollution
- Recall ways to prevent radioactive pollution
- Describe methods to combat noise pollution
- Explain the role of greenhouse gases in global warming
- Discuss the harmful effects of ozone layer thinning
These lessons help you quickly grasp the topics presented, and our instructors facilitate an engaging learning experience. You can review all the lessons in order, or just the ones that you need. A short quiz is available for each lesson to test your understanding of what you have studied.
1. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the presence of unwanted substances in an environment. It is often the result of human interference. Learn about physical, chemical and biological pollutants and see examples of each.
2. Water Pollution: Definition, Types, and Sources
In this lesson, you will learn about the different types and sources of water pollution. You will gain an understanding of both surface water and groundwater pollution and the similarities and differences between them.
3. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
4. Radioactive Pollution: Definition, Sources & Prevention
This lesson defines radioactive pollution. Then you'll learn about its possible sources and what harm radioactive pollution may bring to a person, as well as the ways by which it can be prevented.
5. Noise Pollution: Sources, Effects & Control Methods
Have you ever rolled down your car window only to hear several different noises? The sources of the noises that you hear can contribute to noise pollution. Use this lesson to learn about noise pollution, its sources, and the different ways to control for it.
6. Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming
In this video lesson, you'll learn what roles fossil fuels and greenhouse gases play in global warming, as well as what life on Earth can expect due to rising carbon dioxide levels within Earth's atmosphere.
7. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards