About This Chapter
Types of Energy & Energy Transfers - Chapter Summary
From kinetic energy to heat transfer, this chapter covers many of the details you should know about energy types and transfers for testing or other purposes. You will review theories, definitions and examples pertaining to different types of energy.
You will also review mechanisms and the process of heat and energy transfer. After you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define and provide examples of kinetic and potential energy
- Explain how energy manifests itself
- Provide details about the process of energy transfer
- Discuss the relationship between chemistry and energy
- List the mechanisms of heat transfer and describe changes in heat and energy diagrams
- Describe how fuel becomes heat energy
- Identify the four states of matter and discuss the kinetic theory of matter
Access these short lessons at any time, from any device, and even print transcripts for quick reference purposes. Use self-assessment quizzes to measure how much you have learned from each lesson. Track your progress through the chapter using your handy Dashboard.
1. Kinetic Energy: Examples & Definition
Kinetic energy is a form of energy due to motion, and it varies depending on the mass and the speed of the object in motion. Explore the different types and the factors that affect kinetic energy.
2. What is Potential Energy? - Definition & Examples
Potential energy refers to the stored energy of an object at rest. Learn about the definition and examples of potential energy, the concept of storing energy, as well as the different types of potential energy.
3. How Energy Manifests Itself
Energy is the power all around us. There are several different ways that energy manifests itself. In this lesson, we'll learn about these different forms.
4. The Process of Energy Transfer
In this lesson you'll be learning about the process of energy transfer. We'll get a better understanding of what energy transfer is, and look at different scenarios in everyday life, like a roller coaster zooming down the track or the production of electricity at a power plant.
5. Enthalpy: Energy Transfer in Physical and Chemical Processes
When energy is transferred during a chemical reaction, it is called enthalpy. Examine the changes that happen, the relationship to energy, heat, and temperature, exothermic and endothermic processes, and physical and chemical changes during enthalpy.
6. Changes in Heat and Energy Diagrams
Temperature and heat are not the same. Learn about the definitions of both temperature and heat, as well as how energy relates to each, and visualize the differences and relationships between the two in the diagrams provided.
7. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
The three mechanisms that transfer heat include conduction, which is why a coffee mug gets hot when filled; convection, which is when heat is transferred via liquids; and, radiation, which is when heat is transferred by electromagnetic waves. Learn more about the mechanisms of heat transfer and the mobility of heat.
8. How Fuel Becomes Heat Energy
Fuel powers cars, enhances a fire, and aids in a host of other reactions. Learn how this is achieved, or the process by which fuel becomes heat energy, through first learning what fuel is and how it forms.
9. The Kinetic Theory of Matter: Definition & The Four States of Matter
The kinetic theory of matter states that all matter is comprised of minuscule particles in random motion, with space between each particle. Learn about the definition of the kinetic theory of matter, phase changes, and the four states of matter.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the CSET Foundational-Level General Science (215) Prep course
- About the CSET Tests
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards