About This Chapter
Types of Energy & Energy Transfers - Chapter Summary
From kinetic energy to heat transfer, this chapter covers many of the details you should know about energy types and transfers for testing or other purposes. You will review theories, definitions and examples pertaining to different types of energy.
You will also review mechanisms and the process of heat and energy transfer. After you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define and provide examples of kinetic and potential energy
- Explain how energy manifests itself
- Provide details about the process of energy transfer
- Discuss the relationship between chemistry and energy
- List the mechanisms of heat transfer and describe changes in heat and energy diagrams
- Describe how fuel becomes heat energy
- Identify the four states of matter and discuss the kinetic theory of matter
Access these short lessons at any time, from any device, and even print transcripts for quick reference purposes. Use self-assessment quizzes to measure how much you have learned from each lesson. Track your progress through the chapter using your handy Dashboard.
1. Kinetic Energy: Examples & Definition
To knock down a set of bowling pins, what must be true about the bowling ball? It must be moving! This lesson discusses the energy perspective of this simple truth: kinetic energy.
2. What is Potential Energy? - Definition & Examples
All great educators and parents inspire us to reach our potential - to discover parts of us yet to be realized. Potential energy in science is not much different. This lesson explores the concept of energy that has the potential to do work.
3. How Energy Manifests Itself
Energy is the power all around us. There are several different ways that energy manifests itself. In this lesson, we'll learn about these different forms.
4. The Process of Energy Transfer
In this lesson you'll be learning about the process of energy transfer. We'll get a better understanding of what energy transfer is, and look at different scenarios in everyday life, like a roller coaster zooming down the track or the production of electricity at a power plant.
5. Enthalpy: Energy Transfer in Physical and Chemical Processes
This video explores the relationship between chemistry and energy. We learn the general properties of energy and the concepts of temperature and heat. We will learn about energy flow and consider the enthalpy change during chemical reactions.
6. Changes in Heat and Energy Diagrams
Did you know that temperature and heat are not the same thing? Did you know that the temperature of water doesn't change when it boils? This lesson describes the relationship between heat and temperature. Diagrams are used to illustrate the relationship between heat and temperature during phase changes.
7. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
8. How Fuel Becomes Heat Energy
When we burn wood, coal, or gas, we create heat. But where did that heat come from? Learn how fuel becomes heat energy, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. The Kinetic Theory of Matter: Definition & The Four States of Matter
Everything on Earth is made of matter, but that matter isn't always the same. Matter can exist in four different phases, and the kinetic theory of matter helps us understand the differences between those phases.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards