About This Chapter
Types of Equations & Inequalities - Chapter Summary
Complete this chapter at your own pace to study various types of equations and inequalities. Our expert math instructors show you the basics of linear, quadratic and simultaneous equations, as well as linear and two-step inequalities. You'll also learn how to solve and graph these types of equations and inequalities. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify the components of linear equations and quadratic equations
- Solve and graph linear inequalities
- Use several methods to solve simultaneous equations
- Work with quadratic equations and two-step inequalities
These lessons present math concepts in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. Feel free to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions. We also encourage you to take the chapter's self-assessment quizzes, which are designed to reinforce your understanding of equation and inequality topics. You can also study at any time of day or night using any device that has an Internet connection.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
3. How to Solve Simultaneous Equations
In this lesson, you'll learn what simultaneous equations are and discover methods for solving them, including graphing, the elimination method and the substitution method.
4. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
5. Solving Two-Step Inequalities with Fractions
Solving two-step inequalities is very similar to solving two-step equations. This lesson covers the steps and gives examples and practice for solving two-step inequalities with fractions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Mathematics: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Mathematical Proofs & Reasoning
- Basic Arithmetic & Algebra
- Factorization of Binomials & Trinomials
- Plane Geometry
- Circle Plane Geometry
- Probability & Randomization
- Arithmetic & Geometric Series
- Trigonometric Ratios
- Geometrical Representations of Functions
- Linear Functions & Lines
- Derivatives of Functions
- Quadratic Polynomials & Parabolas
- Geometrical Applications of Differentiation
- Logarithmic & Exponential Functions
- Calculating Trigonometric Functions
- Understanding Inverse Functions
- Factoring & Graphing Polynomials
- Roots & Coefficients of Polynomials
- Binomial Theorem & Probability
- Graphing & Solving Functions
- Solving & Graphing Complex Numbers
- Geometric Representations of Complex Numbers
- Square Roots, Powers & Roots of Complex Numbers
- Conic Sections Basics
- The Ellipse in Algebra
- The Hyperbola
- The Rectangular Hyperbola
- Calculus Applications: Rate of Change
- Calculus Applications: Velocity & Acceleration
- Calculus Applications: Projectile & Harmonic Motion
- Calculus Applications: Resisted Motion
- Calculus Applications: Circular Motion
- HSC Mathematics Flashcards