About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our 9th Grade English Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the characteristics of various essay types. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the types of essays. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about the components of narrative, persuasive, descriptive, evaluative and informative essays.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need an English curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and the Types of Essay unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Types of Essay Unit Objectives
- Identify the characteristics of a narrative essay.
- Outline a descriptive essay's distinguishing features.
- Understand the various functions of an informative essay.
- Discover a persuasive essay's components.
- Recognize the parts of an evaluative essay.
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Descriptive Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
A descriptive essay allows you to paint a picture for your reader in words. Watch this video to learn more about the techniques and elements that can help you fill the picture with lots of great details.
3. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
4. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Introduction to Prose - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- American Novelists - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- American Short Story Authors - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Ancient Literature - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- British Fiction Writers - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Contemporary Fiction - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Dramatic Literature - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Dramatic Works - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Poetry Analysis: Homeschool Curriculum
- Literary Terms - Definitions & Examples: Homeschool Curriculum
- Text Analysis and Close Reading - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Introduction to High School Writing - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Writing Process - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Writing Conventions - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Source Materials - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Common Usage Errors - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Preventing Capitalization & Spelling Errors: Homeschool Curriculum
- Elements of Grammar - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum
- Punctuation in Writing - 9th Grade: Homeschool Curriculum