About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other CAHSEE English Exam work.
- Identify the types of essays concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our CAHSEE English Exam tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn types of essays and earn passing scores on the CAHSEE Exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the characteristics of narrative, informative, persuasive or evaluative essays, or any other essay types topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning for the CAHSEE Exam
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their essay types review unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead on the CAHSEE English Exam
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the various types of essays for the CAHSEE simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn types of essays for your CAHSEE review on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Take a look at examples of narrative essays.
- List the elements of a biographical narrative.
- Learn how to write responses to literature.
- Describe the structure of informative essays.
- Understand the characteristics of expository essays.
- Define persuasive essays.
- Discuss the format of evaluative essays.
- Become familiar with the elements of business letters.
1. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
2. Concluding Your Narrative with Reflection
Sometimes, after telling a story in our narrative essays, we need a little something more in the conclusion to help the reader understand our meaning. Personal reflections do this.
3. Responding to Literature: Forming Your Point of View
In order to form a supported point of view on a piece of literature, you must be able to analyze and synthesize. Watch this video lesson to learn a few ways to hone those skills.
4. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
5. What is Expository Writing? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying and understanding the major components of expository writing. Learn more about expository writing and see some common examples. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Components of Writing a Persuasive Essay
In this lesson, we will define persuasive writing, look at the different goals of a persuasive essay, and then discuss how to plan and develop a persuasive topic.
7. Evaluative Essay: Examples, Format & Characteristics
A good evaluative essay helps a writer present an opinion using criteria and evidence. Learn all about the evaluative essay and its components in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE English Exam: Tutoring Solution course
- Interpreting Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Analyzing Drama & Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- Reading Informational Texts: Tutoring Solution
- Evaluating Arguments & Reasoning: Tutoring Solution
- Sentence Structure - Grammar Elements: Tutoring Solution
- Sentence Structure & Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- Correcting Errors in Sentences: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics - Essay Writing: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process - Development and Planning: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process - Writing and Structuring an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process - Revision and Skill Development: Tutoring Solution