About This Chapter
Types of Financial Risk - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've provided short, engaging lessons on the types of financial risk. Our helpful videos are generally less than ten minutes in length and cover the different types of financial risk, portfolio risk management, investment risks and how to reduce them. Take your time as you complete this chapter, and feel free to go back as many times as needed to ensure your complete understanding. Our experts would be happy to answer any questions you submit through the Dashboard. Once you've finished this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define bond risk and its different types
- Outline the formula and models for interest rate risk
- Discuss exchange rate risk and forms of exposure
- Provide the definition and examples of speculative risk
- Identify the different types of enterprise risk
- Give a definition of operational risks and liquidity risks
- Differentiate between systematic and unsystematic risk
1. Financial Risk: Types, Examples & Management Methods
In this lesson, you will explore the various types of risks faced by a business and understand how financial risk is different from other types of risks. Then, you will learn about the different types of financial risks and methods to manage them.
2. Investment Risks: Definition & Types
This lesson highlights the definition of investment risk and the differences between the various types of investment risks investors face in the marketplace.
3. How to Reduce Investment Risks
Stock market investments come with both the hope of profitable returns and the risk of significant losses. In this lesson, we'll discuss how you can manage your risk and optimize your exposure to stock market volatility.
4. Interest Rate Risk: Definition, Formula & Models
Interest rate risk is really the risk of two different events (price reduction and reinvestment rate reduction) caused by a change in interest rates. Interest rate risk affects bond investments, but the good news for bond investors is that it can be mitigated or eliminated.
5. Exchange Rate Risk & Forms of Exposure
International businesses face certain risks, including the risk of exchange rates being unfavorable. In this lesson, we'll explore forms of exchange rate exposure, including short-run, long-run, and translation exposure.
6. Speculative Risk: Definition & Examples
This lesson will provide an overview of speculative risk. This overview will provide the definition and several examples of speculative risk from an investor's point of view.
7. Enterprise Risk: Types & Strategies
What kind of risk exposure does a business enterprise have, and what can they do to mitigate risk? In this lesson, we'll discuss types of enterprise risks, how they're measured, and what businesses can do to minimize potential harm.
8. Operational Risks: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll define operational risk in more than one way. Then, we'll go over the subcategories of operational risks and provide numerous examples of each.
9. Liquidity Risks: Definition & Examples
This lesson defines the two main types of liquidity risk: 1) trading liquidity risk and 2) funding liquidity risk. You'll learn to identify conditions that may lead a person or bank being unable to meet its short-term financial obligations.
10. Systematic & Unsystematic Risk: Definition & Examples
In financial markets, risk is an important concept to understand. If you hope to make money, you must risk money. In this lesson, we'll learn the difference between systematic and unsystematic risk, which will help you develop your investing strategy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Financial Accounting: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Accounting: Help and Review
- Financial Statements in Accounting: Help and Review
- Mechanics of the Accounting Cycle: Help and Review
- Project Evaluation & Analysis
- Preparing Financial Statements: Help and Review
- Internal Controls in Accounting: Help and Review
- Merchandising Operations and Inventory in Accounting: Help and Review
- Current and Long-Term Liabilities in Accounting: Help and Review
- Adjusting Accounts & Preparing Financial Statements: Help and Review
- Taxation of Business Entities
- Accounting Changes & Errors
- Classifying Costs in Accounting
- Cost Accounting Methods
- Cash Flow Statements & Disclosures
- Asset & Inventory Management
- Small Business Financing
- Small Business Accounting
- Financial Reporting
- Banking, Insurance & Monetary Policy
- Credit Risk
- Derivatives in Finance Overview
- Capital Markets in Risk Management
- Managing Financial Risk
- Financial Risk & Decision-Making