About This Chapter
Types of Government Audit Services - Chapter Summary
This chapter will teach you about the types of government auditing services using simple illustrative examples. Each lesson defines auditing terms and succinctly explains the purposes and benefits of several types of audits.. You'll also learn how audits are measured and what techniques government auditors use.
After watching the videos in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand compliance, information technology and integrity audits
- Know how the government audits performance/value-for-money operations
- Describe external audits of financial statements
- Recognize consulting and non-audit advisory services
- Measure performance audits
- Explain auditing methods for program evaluation
- Identify and investigate integrity violations
- Discuss the uses and benefits of auditing performance management systems
Our expert instructors present each lesson's definitions, concepts and examples in an engaging and simple manner. Each lesson includes a multiple-choice self-assessment quiz to make sure you've fully grasped the material. Video timelines, lesson transcripts and text lessons are also included to supplement the your learning experience.
1. What is a Compliance Audit? - Definition & Example
A compliance audit is done on a company to assure that the business and its employees are following the rules. This lesson will discuss these audits, their processes, and why they are done.
2. External Audits of Financial Statements
Financial statements are one of the most heavily relied upon group of reports in the business world, and they must be accurate and reliable. In this lesson, you'll learn about financial statement audits, who performs them, and why they are important.
3. Information Technology Audits: Definition & Example
This lesson provides a brief overview on the necessity of information technology audits and why they are critical in today's complex technology environment. The lesson also highlights how these audits are performed and examples of key types of IT audits.
4. Consulting & Non-Audit Advisory Services: Definition & Examples
What is the meaning of consulting/assistance services conducted by government auditors? How do we define this non-audit work, and what are the differences in these services when comparing the worlds of business and government?
5. Performance Audit: Definition & Measurement
Like many of us, the government wants to be good at their job. In order to make improvements and be more productive, the government often relies on audits. In this lesson we will learn about an important audit that they use known as a performance audit.
6. Government Auditing - Program Evaluation: Definition & Method
In this lesson, we'll look at government program evaluation, a form of government auditing that employs various formal data collection methods to evaluate and determine the level of performance and effectiveness in a government program.
7. Integrity Audits: Definition & Example
Just like we as individuals have to follow laws, so do companies. In order to make sure companies are abiding by ethical standards, the government may conduct an integrity audit. Come along as we learn what they are and how they are performed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CGAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Government Auditing Professional course
- Auditing Standards & Governance
- Risk/Control Frameworks in Auditing
- Government Auditing Practices: The Audit Function
- Process for Delivery of Audit Services
- Government Auditing Skills & Techniques
- Evaluating Quantitative & Qualitative Data
- Government Auditing: Financial Management
- Implications of Audit Service Delivery Methods
- Implications of Delivering Audit Services to Citizens
- Unique Characteristics of Human Resources Management
- Unique Purchasing & Procurement Requirements
- CGAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Government Auditing Professional Flashcards