About This Chapter
Types of Microaggression in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
Our helpful chapter on types of microaggression at work makes corporate training simple and convenient. You can utilize the entire chapter or just certain lessons with your teams. The chapter's lessons explore the causes of microaggression, the impact of verbal microaggression and examples of racial microaggression. These sensitive topics are presented by the professional instructors who created this resource, so you can be confident that you're handling these issues with care.
How It Helps
- Offers clarity: Employees who know what microaggression looks like in the workplace will know how to identify it and address it in the workplace.
- Eases training: Whether you need a resource to use with one or a select group of employees or the entire company, this chapter offers training help for a variety of purposes.
- Provides context: Rather than just learning about microaggression conceptually, these lessons offer examples that allow your employees to really see how this issue operates in the workplace.
Use this chapter with your employees to make sure they can achieve these goals:
- Outline the social and cultural causes of microaggressions in the workplace
- Provide examples of microaggressions during verbal communication
- Discuss the impact of microaggressions as they pertain to non-verbal communication
- Give examples and the recognize impact of ethnic and racial microaggressions
1. Microaggressions in the Workplace: Social & Cultural Causes
If you are interested in reducing microaggressions in your workplace, you probably want to start by thinking about what causes them. This lesson discusses social and cultural causes of microaggressions.
2. Microaggressions in Verbal Communication: Examples & Impacts
Microaggressions can be extremely hurtful and also really hard to identify and respond to. This lesson discusses the ways that microaggressions occur in verbal communication and how they impact their victims.
3. Microaggressions in Non-verbal Communication: Examples & Impacts
Though verbal microaggressions often receive more attention, the non-verbal ones can be just as damaging. This lesson provides examples and discusses the impacts of microaggressions in non-verbal communication.
4. Racial & Ethnic Microaggressions: Examples & Impacts
If you are interested in reducing microaggressions in your workplace, you may want to start by learning more about what they are and how they affect people. This lesson discusses examples and the impact of racial and ethnic microaggressions.
5. Practical Application: Questionnaire for Detecting Microaggressions in the Workplace
This questionnaire will help you assess the level of microaggressions happening in your workplace. Afterward, we'll discuss how to analyze your results.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Unconscious Bias & Microaggressions in the Workplace course