About This Chapter
Types of Numbers Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Bring a fresh approach to teaching your math students about real, complex, rational and imaginary numbers using this helpful chapter. Our lesson plans will outline group and individual projects and classroom activities that will enhance your students' learning experience and make it easier for them to understand and retain information.
Incorporate our video lessons as classroom tools you can use to present details about numbers using visual aids. These lessons can help you formulate questions and stimulate class discussions.
How It Helps
- Games or activities: Clarifies facts about real numbers by having students apply concepts to fun activities and games.
- Student participation: Encourages student participation and enhances performance through classroom discussions and group projects.
- Additional resources: Uses video lessons to supplement existing text materials about types of numbers.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning Types of Numbers lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific number topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your math class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the real, rational, irrational, complex and imaginary numbers lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important aspects of number types from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant numbers activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Real Numbers Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about real numbers. Students will watch an engaging video guiding them through real numbers and the three rules that define them. Discussion questions, a quiz and fun game are included to make learning stick.
2. What are Real Numbers? - Definition & Properties
There are many definitions of real numbers, but they all lead to the same conclusion. Real numbers are numbers that have a measurable value. Learn more about real numbers with some examples and a quiz to test your knowledge.
3. Rational Numbers Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about rational numbers. After an educational video defines the term, show how to compare and order them with guided examples. Plenty of practice and discussions make learning memorable.
4. Comparing & Ordering Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any rational number and compare it with any other rational number. Learn what you need to do so that you know which number is greater or lesser than another.
5. Rational & Irrational Numbers Games & Activities
There are lots of ways to teach about rational and irrational numbers. Here are some games and activities you can use to keep the topic active and fun.
6. Number Systems and The Base-Ten System Lesson Plan
This lesson will help your students understand number systems, such as the base-10 system. Students will watch a video lesson, take a quiz, and work in groups to convert numerals into various number systems.
7. Irrational Numbers Lesson Plan
Teach your students about irrational numbers with this lesson plan. Students will watch a video lesson defining irrational numbers and giving several examples of them. Discussion questions, cooperative activities and a quiz make learning meaningful.
8. What are Irrational Numbers? - Definition & Examples
Irrational numbers may not be crazy, but they do sometimes bend our minds a little. Learn about common irrational numbers, like the square root of 2 and pi, as well as a few others that businessmen, artists, and scientists find useful.
9. Complex Number Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about complex numbers. A text lesson is used to define complex numbers then guides students on how to combine them using addition, subtraction and multiplication. Discussion questions, guided learning and a game make learning in this lesson stick.
10. What is a Complex Number? - Definition & Properties
Applications of complex numbers include signal processing filters in engineering and vector length calculations in physics. After defining complex numbers, this lesson explores how to combine them using addition, subtraction and multiplication.
11. Imaginary Numbers Lesson Plan
Teach your students about imaginary numbers with this lesson plan. Students will watch an engaging video explaining the basics of imaginary numbers such as where they come from and how to solve with them. Discussion questions, activities and a quiz will help make concepts memorable.
12. What is an Imaginary Number?
The imaginary number 'i' is the square root of -1. Although this number doesn't actually exist, pretending that it does allows us to do a bunch of crazy math that scientists use every day. Learn the basics of that number 'i' here!
13. Pascal's Triangle Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students understand the history, replicate the sequences, and explain some of the patterns using terminology associated with Pascal's Triangle.
14. Pascal's Triangle: Patterns & History
In this lesson, you will learn about some of the many patterns found within Pascal's triangle, a set of numbers that has been loved by mathematicians for centuries.
15. Expanded Form Activities & Games
An interesting aspect of numbers is that they can be represented in so many different ways. Use these activities and games to help students learn about expanded form of numbers.
16. Complex Number Activities & Games
Learning about complex numbers will be an important part of your students' algebra education and understanding of the number system. This lesson offers activities and games to help with teaching complex numbers.
17. Multiplying Mixed Numbers Activities
If your students are studying fractions, learning how to multiply mixed numbers is an essential skill. Use these activities to help students identify the process for multiplying mixed numbers and solve problems using this skill.
18. Equivalent Number Sentences Activities
If your students are learning about equality and numbers, it's important for them to understand equivalent number sentences. Use these activities to help them identify and create equivalent number sentences.
19. Pascal's Triangle Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Teach your students about Pascal's triangle with help from this lesson plan. A text lesson will walk students through key ideas before they put their understanding to practice with an activity. Give a quiz at the end to check comprehension.
20. Real Numbers Activities for High School
As students work with more complex and diverse types of numbers, understanding real numbers can help students with their calculations and mathematical reasoning. Use these activities to help students learn about real numbers.
21. Odd and Even Numbers Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students learn the difference between odd and even numbers and how to identify each. The lesson contains a video, small and large group activities, and a writing exercise.
22. Decomposing Numbers Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses video instruction, class discussion and practice as well as active, hands-on games to help students learn how to decompose numbers. A brief worksheet is used to assess knowledge acquisition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Secondary Math Lesson Plans course