About This Chapter
Types of Organizational Structures - Chapter Summary
Our informative chapter outlines the different types of organizational structures. You'll take a look organizational strategy, the organizational structure of management and how different organizational designs can affect behavior. If you struggle with any of these topics, feel free to review these lessons as many times as needed. Use the video tabs feature to skip ahead or go back and review specific topics in the video lesson. Our lesson transcripts and text lessons can be printed to study offline as well. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain how organizational size and technology impacts the design and structure of an organization
- Outline the advantages of a boundaryless organization
- Differentiate between the different types of traditional organizational designs
- Define flat organizational structure
- Give an example of functional structure
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of organizational divisional structure
- Explain bureaucratic organizational structure
- Name some of the contemporary organizational designs
- Give an example of a matrix organizational structure
- Describe what a lean organizational structure is
1. What Is Organizational Structure of Management? - Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will provide an overview of the different types of organizational structures a company can utilize. Read on to learn why having an organizational structure is important.
2. Strategy and Organizational Structure
In this lesson you will learn the three different elements to organizational strategy and which organizational structures work best for each of these elements.
3. Behavioral Implications of Different Organizational Designs
Organizational culture influences how employees behave and the design of an organization can affect its culture, thereby also impacting how employees act. In this lesson, we'll discuss the impact organizational structure can have on employee behavior.
4. Organizational Size: Impacts on Structure and Design of an Organization
In this lesson, you will learn how the size of an organization impacts the structure and design of that organization in the areas of work specialization, departmentalization, and formalization.
5. Impact of Technology on Structure & Design of Organizations
Technology has changed many aspects of human life. In this lesson, we'll focus on the way it has changed how organizations work. In particular, we'll talk about how automation and information technology have impacted the workplace.
6. The Boundaryless Organization: Structure and Advantages
In this lesson, you will learn how the structure of an organization can create barriers that have a negative impact on its operations. Find out why managers want to reduce or eliminate these barriers and create a boundaryless organization.
7. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
8. What Is a Flat Structure in an Organization? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we'll define what organizational structure is, and explain some terms used to describe it. Then we'll cover the characteristics of the flat organizational structure, and discuss its advantages and disadvantages.
9. Functional Structure of an Organization: Advantages, Disadvantages & Example
A functional organizational structure is one of several reporting structures a company could implement. Read on to learn why a company might implement a functional structure and the advantages and disadvantages for both company and staff.
10. Organizational Divisional Structure: Advantages, Disadvantages & Example
A divisional structure is a common organizational form used in business. In this lesson, you'll learn about divisional structures, including their advantages and disadvantages. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
11. Bureaucratic Structure in an Organization: Definition & Explanation
Bureaucratic structures are used in many organizations, including the military, government agencies like the Department of State, and large corporations. In this lesson, we'll define bureaucratic structure and you'll learn how one operates. You'll also be given an opportunity to reinforce your knowledge of this topic with a brief quiz.
12. Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of contemporary organizational designs, including matrix, team and network designs.
13. Matrix Organizational Structure: Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
A matrix organizational structure is one of the most complicated reporting structures a company can implement. Read on to learn why a company might implement a matrix structure and the advantages and disadvantages for both company and staff.
14. Lean Organizational Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how the structure of a lean organization differs from the structure of a traditional organization and the benefits organizations with lean structures have over organizations with traditional structures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 323: Organizational Theory course
- Introduction to Organizational Theory
- History of Organizational Theory & Master Theorists
- Power in Organizations
- Managing Conflict in Organizations
- Understanding Leadership in Organizations
- Organizational Decision Making
- Types of Organizational Communication
- Managing Organizational Environments
- Organizational Performance & Recognizing the Need for Change
- Required Assignment for Business 323
- Studying for Business 323