About This Chapter
Types of Pollution - Chapter Summary
You might think of effects on water and air when you think about pollution, but there are actually various types of chemical and biological pollution types that also impact our lives. Use this chapter to delve deeper into facts about these types of pollution and their sources.
These lessons provide a quick and easy way you can review pesticides, noise pollution, radioactive waste, greenhouse gases and more. You can also learn more about how pollution is controlled in different countries. After completing this chapter, you will have developed or reinforced your abilities to:
- Define pollution and identify different types of pollution
- Discuss types and sources of air and water pollution
- Describe how different countries control pollution
- Understand the uses, benefits and harmful effects of pesticides
- Provide details about noise pollution
- Relate the effects of rising levels of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere
- Note safety practices and health-related issues associated with nuclear power and radioactive waste
Let expert instructors guide you through this material with simple language and detailed examples. Study on your own schedule with lessons that are easily accessible at all times, on any device, and even print lesson transcripts to create handy reference tools. Measure what you have learned by taking the self-assessment quizzes found in each lesson.
1. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the presence of unwanted substances in an environment. It is often the result of human interference. Learn about physical, chemical and biological pollutants and see examples of each.
2. Water Pollution: Definition, Types, and Sources
In this lesson, you will learn about the different types and sources of water pollution. You will gain an understanding of both surface water and groundwater pollution and the similarities and differences between them.
3. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
4. Controlling Air Pollution: How Developed & Developing Nations Differ
In this lesson, you will learn how air pollution is controlled in developed and developing nations. You will also learn about the U.S. Clean Air Act and how it has evolved over the years to address air pollution in the United States.
5. Use of Pesticides: Benefits and Problems Associated with Pesticides
Pesticides are used worldwide to manage agricultural pests. They kill and repel unwanted pests, but also cause many human deaths each year. This lesson explores the widespread use of pesticides in agriculture and compares the benefits and problems associated with these helpful but dangerous chemicals.
6. Noise Pollution: Sources, Effects & Control Methods
Have you ever rolled down your car window only to hear several different noises? The sources of the noises that you hear can contribute to noise pollution. Use this lesson to learn about noise pollution, its sources, and the different ways to control for it.
7. Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming
In this video lesson, you'll learn what roles fossil fuels and greenhouse gases play in global warming, as well as what life on Earth can expect due to rising carbon dioxide levels within Earth's atmosphere.
8. Risks of Nuclear Power Plants and Radioactive Waste: Safety and Health Concerns
Nuclear power can generate electricity without greenhouse gas emissions. However, there are concerns about its safety. Learn about the safety and health concerns associated with the threat of nuclear meltdowns, as well as the challenges involved in storing radioactive waste.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 2: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Understanding Oscillatory Motion
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Understanding Wave Optics
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration
- Overview of Thermochemistry
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Origin of Life & Organic Evolution
- Viruses Overview
- Understanding Human Genetics
- Applied Genetics
- Applied Human Biology
- Applied Biological Conservation in India
- Mammalian Anatomy
- Nutrition Overview
- Excretion & Osmoregulation
- The Human Respiratory System
- Parts of the Nervous System
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Hormonal Disorders & Pheromones
- Parts of the Circulatory System
- Animal Diversity
- Types of Protozoa
- Porifera, Cnidaria & Ctenophora
- Ascaris & Pheretima
- Phylum Arthropoda
- Plant Cells Overview
- Cell Division in Plants
- Mendelism Overview
- Plant Diversity
- Classification of Plant-Like Organisms
- Plant Tissues, Stems, Leaves & Roots
- Understanding Plant Physiology
- Photosynthesis, Transpiration & Respiration
- Plant Growth & Movement Overview
- Overview of Ecology
- UPSEE Paper 2 Flashcards