About This Chapter
Types of Unconscious Bias in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you have a flexible resource you can use to teach your employees about the types of unconscious bias in the workplace. Topics include gender stereotypes, ingroup and outgroup bias and bias towards extroverts and introverts. You can also test your employees' understanding of these topics by giving the provided lesson quizzes and chapter test.
How It Helps
- Allows for sensitivity: If you'd like to work only with one employee without bringing attention to their training, you can assign these lessons on unconscious workplace bias.
- Provides knowledge: Many different kinds of unconscious bias are covered here, from bias based on race and ethnicity to bias by gender and even towards introverts, shedding light on a variety of important subjects.
- Builds confidence: When your employees understand these different forms of unconscious bias, they can adjust behaviors to ensure strong, confident and unified teams.
This chapter is designed to teach your employees how to:
- Outline the social and cultural causes for unconscious bias at work
- Differentiate between ingroup and outgroup unconscious bias
- Discuss unconscious bias based on ethnicity and race
- Define gender stereotypes and give examples
- Identify unconscious bias towards the extroverted and introverted
1. Unconscious Bias in the Workplace: Social & Cultural Causes
If you are trying to create a workplace with fewer microaggressions and a diverse, collegial environment, then you might want to develop your understanding of unconscious bias and its social and cultural causes.
2. Ingroup vs. Outgroup Unconscious Bias
Unconscious bias can play a substantial role in triggering microaggressions in the workplace, and it is often based on ingroup and outgroup status. This lesson discusses unconscious bias and ingroups and outgroups on the job.
3. Unconscious Bias Based on Race & Ethnicity
If you are interested in combatting microaggressions and unconscious bias, then it is important to address issues of race and ethnicity. This lesson discusses some causes and impacts of bias based on race and ethnicity.
4. Gender Stereotypes: Definition & Examples
Gender stereotypes are over-generalizations about the characteristics of an entire group based on gender. While gender stereotypes have been popularly perceived as having negative connotations, they can also have positive ones as well.
5. Unconscious Bias Towards Introverts & Extroverts
Many people treat and think about different kinds of personality types very differently in the workplace. This lesson discusses unconscious biases toward introverts and extroverts in job situations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Unconscious Bias & Microaggressions in the Workplace course