About This Chapter
Types of Workplace Misbehavior - Chapter Summary
Many types of workplace misbehavior are discussed in the lessons of this chapter. Find out about eradication of sexual harassment through organizational steps, workplace zero tolerance policy, violence in the workplace, and white collar crime statistics. Additional topics include:
- Behaviors that can result in an undermining of trust at work
- Definition and examples of white collar crime
- The hostile work environment and sexual harassment
- Definition, types and signs of aggressive behavior
- Definition and overview of workplace incivility
- Substance use, abuse, dependence and disorders
- Workplace alcoholism
- Discipline of employees in the workplace
Our experts use both text and video lessons, and each has a quiz for self-assessment to check your understanding of the lesson material. Videos average 5-10 minutes in length and are accompanied by a video transcript and a timeline tool you can use to locate any specific section you want to replay. Check your progress through the chapter on your dashboard.
1. Behaviors That Undermine Trust at Work
Employing individuals who are trustworthy is important to the success of any organization. However what happens when employee behavior undermines trust in the workplace? In this lesson, we'll learn about habits that can lead to this eventuality.
2. What Is White Collar Crime? - Definition, Statistics & Examples
White collar crimes involve criminal activities committed by people in the regular course of their business and involve bribery, extortion, fraud and embezzlement. These crimes usually end in financial gain for the perpetrator.
3. Sexual Harassment and the Hostile Work Environment
Sexual harassment is a very real and sensitive issue in the workplace. In this lesson, we will discuss sexual harassment, what it means and what it can do to the work environment.
4. Emotional & Professional Effects of Sexual Harassment
Workplace sexual harassment can have many emotional & professional consequences. In this lesson, you'll learn about the effects of sexual harassment for the victims, the organization and for the perpetrator of the sexual harassment. A short quiz follows.
5. Creating & Maintaining a Respectful Workplace
Creating and maintaining a respectful workplace requires the efforts not only of management but also employees. In this lesson, we'll take a look at how employees can help establish and maintain a respectful work environment. A short quiz follows.
6. Organizational Steps to Eradicate Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment in the workplace is a serious issue, but there are important steps companies can take to eradicate it. In this lesson, we will discuss what sexual harassment entails as well as how to properly deal with it if it occurs.
7. Aggressive Behavior: Definition, Types & Signs
Aggressive behaviors are those that are hostile and violate other people's rights. Learn about reactive and proactive aggressive behaviors, the mental disorders associated with aggressive behavior, and more, in this lesson.
8. Workplace Violence: Trends and Impact on Human Resources
The workplace can be a dangerous place, and many workers are victimized by violence while on the job every year. In this lesson, you'll learn about violence in the workplace and steps that HR can take to reduce it.
9. Bullying in the Workplace
Bullying does not only happen in schools, but it also can happen in the workplace. In this lesson, we will learn the definition of workplace bullying, the effects, and how to handle workplace bullying.
10. Workplace Incivility: Definition & Overview
Sometimes, the workplace is not a positive place and can be downright uncivil. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of workplace incivility, see some examples, and gain an understanding what can cause it.
11. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
12. Alcoholism in the Workplace
Alcohol has a significant impact on performance, safety, and morale in the workplace. Alcohol consumption can have an impact even if a worker does not have a drinking problem. These impacts increase dramatically when alcohol abuse or alcoholism is present.
13. Cyberslacking: Definition & Impact on Workplace Productivity
Technological distractions in the workplace can negatively impact an organization's productivity and bottom line. In this lesson, we will discuss cyberslacking and how countermeasures can help reduce incidents in the workplace.
14. Zero-Tolerance Policy in the Workplace: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will look at zero tolerance policies in the workplace. We'll learn what 'zero tolerance' means and use a real-life example to explore the benefits and possible downfalls of these policies.
15. Employee Discipline in the Workplace: Procedures & Principle
Employee discipline in the workplace is a touchy subject. In this lesson, you will learn what employee discipline is, and how it affects the modern workplace.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CM Leading & Controlling Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager course
- Workplace Leadership
- Employee Motivation in the Workplace
- Managing Change in the Workplace
- Workplace Conflict
- Organizational Politics at Work
- Managing Workplace Misbehavior
- Privacy in the Workplace
- Time & Stress Management at Work
- Organizational Control in Business
- Controlling Operations Costs in Business
- Quality Management in Business
- Inventory Control in Business
- Business Accounting Fundamentals
- Financial Statements for Business
- Financial Analysis for Business
- Financial Management for Business
- CM Leading & Controlling Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager Flashcards