About This Chapter
Types of Writing Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
The lesson plans and lessons in this chapter are designed to support your instructional approach to teaching types of writing. You can use our lessons to facilitate classroom discussions and inspire in-class activities and projects that help to further explain these writing types. You can use our lessons and lesson plans to enhance your teaching of:
- Expository writing
- Descriptive writing
- Narrative writing
- Argumentative essay writing
- Many more types of writing!
Lesson plans could encourage students to further their studies by offering extended activities and topics that could help them further understand these writing topics.
How It Helps
- Meets curriculum standards : Each lesson plan is designed to meet current Common Core literacy standards.
- Utilizes games and activities: Group activities allow students to apply what they are learning in fun and creative ways.
- Increases student engagement and participation: Uses video and text lessons to engage students and prompts discussions which will improve class participation.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to making planning types of writing lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific writing topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your writing class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related types of writing lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important aspects of the types of writing from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant writing activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Argumentative Essay Lesson Plan
Of all the writing styles, it can be extremely advantageous to students to master the argumentative essay. Use this Study.com lesson plan to teach students elements and format. View samples, then allow students to give it a try.
2. Argumentative Essay: Definition, Format & Examples
Argumentative essays are kind of like superpowers: they allow you to get what you want using the superpower of persuasion. View this lesson and learn how to channel persuasion to write a good essay.
3. Descriptive Essay Lesson Plan
What elements are essential for a descriptive essay? This lesson plan explores the characteristics of descriptive essays using a video lesson. An essay writing activity gives students practice with the nuances of descriptive writing.
4. What is Expository Writing? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying and understanding the major components of expository writing. Learn more about expository writing and see some common examples. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Writing a Biography Lesson Plan
Would your students know the difference between a biography and an autobiography? A video lesson makes this distinction, while a second one equips students with the necessary skills for composing a short biography of their own. Suggestions for further study are included in the form of related lessons and activities.
6. Literary Nonfiction: Biographies & Autobiographies
Literary nonfiction consists of many types of writing. Two of the most popular types are biographies and autobiographies. Watch this video lesson to learn more about these two types.
7. Cereal Box Biography Project Ideas
Cereal box biographies are a fun and creative alternative to traditional biographies. By creating a three-dimensional biography, students can think about how they present information in different ways.
8. Writing an Autobiography: Format, Steps & Tips
Have you ever thought about writing down the story of your life? Or, does the task seem daunting? In this lesson, we'll learn about autobiographies and their formats to show there isn't one right way to get our stories out from our minds and into the world.
9. Persuasive Writing Techniques
Persuasive writing can be a little overwhelming because you feel passionate about something and you want everyone to agree with you. Well, not everyone will, but in this lesson, you will learn some techniques that will make you more persuasive through your writing.
10. Descriptive Writing: Definition, Techniques & Examples
This lesson will assist you in identifying descriptive writing found in literature and ways you can apply it in your own writing. Learn more about literary style and test your understanding through a quiz.
11. What Is a Memoir? - Definition & Examples
It takes a lot of courage to write a memoir: to reveal personal aspects about one's private life. In this lesson, we will take a look at what makes a story a memoir and examine a few of the most popular memoirs of the 20th and 21st centuries.
12. Essential Questions for Persuasive Writing
Being able to write persuasively is a valuable skill that can enable students to present logical arguments to a wide variety of audiences. This lesson provides information for teachers that students need when undertaking persuasive writing tasks.
13. Argumentative Essay Topics
Writing an argumentative essay can be a great way to bring students' passions out, and give them practice both at writing and persuading. Here are some ideas for argumentative essay topics to get them started.
14. Informational Writing Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students about informational writing and its three common types. Students start off watching an engaging video, then apply knowledge with a writing exercise.
15. Informational Writing: Types & Samples
In this lesson, we will define informational writing, examine the purpose of this type of writing and explore the features of different kinds of informational texts.
16. Procedural Writing Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students what procedural writing is, give examples, explain when and how procedural writing is used, then give it a try in their own writing.
17. Procedural Writing: Ideas & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review procedure topics, determine when to write a procedure, identify the parts of a procedure, and view an example of procedural writing.
18. Campaign Speech Lesson Plan
This lesson will help you teach your students how to write a campaign speech. An informational text lesson guides students through the steps of writing and giving a persuasive campaign speech, scaffolding them as they go through the writing process to completion.
19. How to Write a Campaign Speech
Writing a persuasive and engaging campaign speech can be a challenge. This lesson discusses the parts needed in an effective campaign speech, and successful ways to deliver it in order to excite your audience.
20. Writing a Personal Essay Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan for a unit on writing a personal essay, such as for school or job applications. With this plan, you can guide your class through a video lesson, present discussion questions, and reinforce the material with a personal essay writing activity.
21. Personal Essay: Definition, Format & Examples
How are you going to sell yourself? In this lesson, we will learn how to write the all-important personal essay and discover how it can improve your chances of getting into college or landing your dream job.
22. Writing a Book Report Lesson Plan
Teach students the important skill of book report writing with this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson that explains the process, work cooperatively to practice steps, and then write a book report independently.
23. Book Review Lesson Plan for Elementary School
This lesson plan will help students learn how to construct an effective book review. After observing the teacher model the process, students will write their own book review about a favorite book, using details and personal reflections.
24. Jigsaw Writing Activities
The Jigsaw method is a fun and engaging teaching strategy that can be used to teach a variety of topics. Let's take a look at how to implement this technique in your classroom.
25. How to Teach Collaborative Writing
This lesson discusses how to teach collaborative writing and provides ideas for incorporating it into the classroom. This methodology has students working alongside one another and in groups of various sizes to complete a writing assignment.
26. Expository Essay Activities & Exercises
Do your students groan when it is time to write essays? Would you like to engage them in the writing process in fun and exciting ways? This lesson offers fun activities to engage students in expository essay writing.
27. Argumentative Essay Activities
Argumentative essays are a way for students to analyze the pros and cons of a subject with logic and not emotion. This lesson provides different activities to help students write these essays more effectively.
28. Free Writing Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about free writing. A text and video lesson anchor instruction with an explanation of the process and examples to fuel your students writing. Use our quizzes to test understanding.
29. Freewriting: Definition & Examples
Learn about freewriting and how it's useful for different types of writing. Find out how freewriting can build your creativity and skills, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
30. What is Free Writing? - Definition, Topics & Examples
Free writing is a technique writers use to generate ideas and make connections. This lesson will explain how it works and how it can help you develop your writing skills.
31. Technical Writing Lesson Plan
What is the process for technical writing? This lesson plan uses a video lesson to explain key points about technical writing. An activity prepares students for technical writing.
32. The Technical Writing Process: Prewriting, Writing & Rewriting
Having a plan for your writing will help ensure that you effectively communicate your message. This video provides definitions and strategies for the three steps of the writing process: prewriting, writing, and rewriting.
33. Expository Essay Activities & Games
Teaching students to write a great expository essay involves mastery of several skills. However, with a little ingenuity, you can provide students with fun practice activities and games to help them hone their skills and build a strong expository essay.
34. Writing a Biography Lesson Plan for Elementary School
This lesson plan can be used to teach your students how to write a biography. Students start off watching a video lesson that steps them through the process, then write in cooperative groups before practicing independently.
35. Descriptive Writing Lesson Plan
Take your instruction on descriptive writing to the next level with the help of a video lesson and an engaging activity. Suggestions for supplementary activities and related lessons are also included for further study.
36. Expository Writing Lesson Plan
Introduce and explain the different types of expository writing to your students with this lesson plan. View examples, then play a fun game to make sure students understand the concept.
37. Memoir Lesson Plan
Use this Study.com lesson to teach your students about memoirs, then ask students to analyze word choice and purpose of memoirs at interactive stations.
38. Persuasive Writing Lesson Plan
Ramp up your instruction on persuasive writing with a text lesson and a writing assignment. Take it a step further if you'd like with suggestions for supplementary activities and related lessons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Writing & Composition: Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Writing & Composition Lesson Plans
- Writing Process Lesson Plans
- Narrative Writing Lesson Plans & Activities
- Writing for the Media Lesson Plans & Projects
- Journal Writing Lesson Plans & Resources
- Forms of Creative Writing Lesson Plans
- Letter Format & Writing Lesson Plans
- Peer Editing Resources
- Writing Rubrics
- Prompts & Project Ideas for Writing